Strange lump on my Jennet(picture)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auledasacres

Reaction score
My jennet(annabelle) came down this this weird lump about 2 1/2 months ago. I had the vet look at it. She felt Anna had gotten a splinter or something. Well it hasn't gone away. If anything it is a tad bigger. It does have like a sore on the top of the lump but when squeezed nothing happens.

Anyone ever had this? What can be done. I was thinking about taking a syringe and see if anything was inside, will do that later today.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. It doesn't seem to bother her at all.

Kay and Traci

Sorry about the large pictures, I tried to make them smaller, didn't work

ac48b42e.jpg

4458874b.jpg

I had a mare get a large lump on the side of her face and it was there until it festered, it ended up being a thistle or thorn. Looked almost like that. I started putting antibiotic cream on it every day for about 2 weeks and it took another 2 weeks for it to go away. I buy the triple anti-biotics at walmart and use it for a lot of things on the minis and donkeys. She had it for about 2 1/2 months total.

Hope it heals for you.

It's not larva (warble)or a parasite is it? I am no vet.

Fran

Your best bet is to have a vet pull whatever is inside the lump with a syringe and check it out under a microscope.

There's always the slight possibility that it's a tumor. It could be either cancerous or benign, but I'm sure you would want to know. Right?

MA

Looks like an abscess or something...I thing someone else aready mentioned it, but I bet there is a thorn or sticker in there...can you squeeze it? I would maybe have a vet come lance it and clean it so it can heal.

auledasacres said:
My jennet(annabelle) came down this this weird lump about 2 1/2 months ago.  I had the vet look at it.  She felt Anna had gotten a splinter or something.  Well it hasn't gone away.  If anything it is a tad bigger.  It does have like a sore on the top of the lump but when squeezed nothing happens. 
Anyone ever had this?  What can be done.  I was thinking about taking a syringe and see if anything was inside, will do that later today. 

Any advice or help would be appreciated.  It doesn't seem to bother her at all.

Kay and Traci

Sorry about the large pictures, I tried to make them smaller, didn't work

ac48b42e.jpg

4458874b.jpg

436000[/snapback]

My mule has just about ther same thing but in her back flank. I mashed it nothing came out but there is a pus area in there. Call to the vet and it seems as if it was a bite and a larva is possible, I am giving her antibos & a salve from the vet. If it doesn't soon drain he will lance it.

I would have the vet back out and lance it open if you cant do it yourself. It looks to me like there could be a splinter or something in there. I use alot of the WATKINS Salve on my horses and donkeys, it really does a great job as a drawing type of salve. I just had a jack foal go lame and I thought it might be a abcess, I salved him up, wrapped it in saren wrap, duct taped that and vet wrapped over that..within 2 days it had opened, I kept him in for 1 week and now everything is fine. Corinne

Latest posts

Back