Strange behaviour in mare in foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a mare that is 307 days. She lost her first foal at about 6 months. She is the sweetest natured mare normally . Yesterday she was acting so strange. She is paddocked next door to our stallion, has been for a long time, no dramas. She is in a paddock with 4 other mares all in foal. Yesterday our stallion served one of our mares and I turned her out with the in foal mares (she has been paddocked with them off and on for several months with absolutely no issues) Our in foal mare chased her and then started mounting her like she was serving her even biting her neck like a stallion. It went on for ages, I was trying to catch them so I could seperate them and i couldnt catch them, it took me nearly an hour to catch them and the whole time the in foal mare would chase the other mare then mount her. This is not something she has ever done before, we have owned her for several years. She was fired up, galloping around. When i seperated them I put the other mare in another paddock and the in foal mare spent hours pacing up and down the fence line. I have checked the mare and she is showing signs of getting close, her back end is soft and stretched, very little if any resistance in her tail but she has no bag or signs of milk. Does anybody know whats wrong with her. Is it a surge of hormones meaning she is close to foaling? Shes settled a lot today but still grazing right by the fence line where the mare and stallion is. Shes bright eyed and very happy but just undergone an enormous personality change. Would love peoples thoughts. Shes not trying to mount any of the mares in her paddock. She is also showing strange behaviour towards another mare that has come into season and is paddocked near her.

I've had a bred mare that mounts other mares that are in heat. The bred mare ended up having a colt each time she acted that way. Maybe it's hormones?

One of my mares did that this year a few months after she was covered but it only lasted for a week and she hasn't done it since. Robin I am now curious to see if she has a colt next spring
yes.gif

I've had mares do that--open mares most often, and the same mare doesn't do it every time one of the others comes into heat--there are 3 or 4 of them that sore of take turns "being the stallion".

I have had one pregnant mare do it--she was carrying a filly at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have one mare that is a wonderful teaser. She lets me know the minute another mare is in heat by mounting them. She is also in foal, wonder if she will have a colt.

Its so strange, ive had horses for over 30 yrs and never witnessed this, she is such a sweetie normally but its like shes possessed! SHes still standing on the fenceline watching the other mare, I hope its just hormones!

One of mine is known to do it while in foal if the other mare is on heat, she did it this time and had a filly.

shes only just started it yesterday, never done it before, I was hoping it was a sign she had a surge of hormones cos she was going into labour! Not sure tho

3 years ago. Bred my mare on foal heat. 18 days later shes back in heat, but stallion refuses to touch her. After 10 days of this I take her to the vet and ask her to check for infection. No infection shes pregnant, false heat probably due to hormones vet says some people think that means its a filly. Several months down the road that same pregnant mare is trying to breed every mare I've got. Call the vet she says its a hormone surge and some people say that means it will be a colt... she is now laughing and says this one will be interesting! This mare was better at teasing the mares than the stallions were!! My friend made lots of fun of my teasing mare!
default_unsure.png

Several more months pass and that same friend calls me and one of her mares is now doing the same. Two more months and shes got a train of 6 super fat pregnant mares in her field all looking like elephants in the circus all riding on top of the one in front of them!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
HA HA I guess thats what she gets for laughing at mine!!
default_laugh.png
Just wish she had gotten a picture!

BTW my mare had a filly that year.

i had an in foal mare mount others close to foaling she had a filly, i have another mare that mounts mares and chases geldings havn't managed to get her pregnant she thinks shes the stallion. HORMONES!!!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

i will let you know if she has a colt or filly, shes still acting like a stallion, trying to bite and nibble the in season mares in the next door paddock, it looks so weird!

I have had several in foal, and not in foal mares do this. (Mostly in foal mares though). The trend was that they were having colts, but this season, three of the mares that were mounting others all had fillies, only one of them had a colt. I think its just hormones
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back