"Straight" Miniatures?? I dont understand

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Jenny. You are a wealth of knowledge and your post was well stated
default_aktion033.gif

The way I see it, a miniature is a miniature is a miniature. If it is within the height range, it is a miniature. It doesn't matter what its breeding is. Unless the registries close completely to outside horses, any horse that is either 38" or 34" and under can be a miniature horse. Calling any horse a straight miniature seems to be something that some will say to make them feel better about their equine when the chances are, they may have shetland in the backround or quarter horse or whatever. It is still a miniature. I have 53 miniature horses and the ones that some would refer to as "straight mini" have shetland in their backround. The papers are just not available for research, but the look is the same and if you look at my herd, you would be hard pressed to tell which is straight mini and which is shetland/mini. I have had people ask me if my minis--with no shetland parent--had shetland papers. The fact remains that miniature horses come in all shapes and sizes for all sorts of backrounds. In 1999, our miniature gelding with no shetland parents (on record anyway) was beat out in the grand champion class at nationals by a gelding that was supposedly the unusual cross between a small mini stallion and a full size mare. They gelded him because he could throw much taller babies, but hardshipped him in as a gelding and he was one amazing mini gelding.
Can't resist, are you talking about our gelding Sagitar's Little Jo? Because I think we won Grand Champion Gelding in 1999? If so that is interestng as this is a version I have never heard, Jo was hardshipped in but we had been told he was from Pony stock. Either way it does not matter to me just another interesting tid bit. Thanks.

Jacki Loomis

No matter when the association started an official paper trail on the "miniature" horse the miniature horse itself has been around for a much longer time. The Rocky Mountain horse Association didn't start up until the late 80's but the horse itself has been around since the 1890's. AMHA is too small genetic wise to close??? AMHA has made the top five breeds by numbers before. It far outnumbers many others, including the closed ASPC.

Is straight a marketing term, sure and it sounds pretty good too. What it means can be subjective by who is saying it same as to some a miniature is under 34", others under 38" and yet others, according to a recent lil beginnings survey, can be up to 16H as long as they originate from AMHR registered stock.
default_doh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't resist, are you talking about our gelding Sagitar's Little Jo? Because I think we won Grand Champion Gelding in 1999? If so that is interestng as this is a version I have never heard, Jo was hardshipped in but we had been told he was from Pony stock. Either way it does not matter to me just another interesting tid bit. Thanks.

Jacki Loomis
Checked my photos, our gelding Jo won in 2001 not 1999 that Ms. Foy was referencing. When she said "crossed with a QH" it made me think of our gelding right away because way back in the early 2000s before the big influx of Shetlands showing as Miniature Horses Jo was huge. I worried everytime we had to measure him although he was only around 37" or so he just seemed so much bigger than everything else in the show ring. That is certainly one of the results of Shetlands showing these days, 38" is bigger than I ever imagined it would be.

I think I remember the Foys very nice gelding so it is fun to remember these past shows.

Jacki Loomis

Jacki Loomis
Not sure, Jacki. It was in the over division if that helps. Don't remember the name.

Checked my photos, our gelding Jo won in 2001 not 1999 that Ms. Foy was referencing. When she said "crossed with a QH" it made me think of our gelding right away because way back in the early 2000s before the big influx of Shetlands showing as Miniature Horses Jo was huge. I worried everytime we had to measure him although he was only around 37" or so he just seemed so much bigger than everything else in the show ring. That is certainly one of the results of Shetlands showing these days, 38" is bigger than I ever imagined it would be.

I think I remember the Foys very nice gelding so it is fun to remember these past shows.

Jacki Loomis
Thanks, we thought he was pretty nice. He was a yearling that year. In 2001, he was in the driving ring being very stupid. We had him driving good at home, but took him into the ring to drive that year at nationals and he wouldn't go. Just stood there. LOL Kinda embarrasing. He went on to national champion Pleasure driving the next year. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Latest posts

Back