Stinging Nettle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
Does anyone have a remendy for the itching, burning and swelling of stinging nettle? The horses managed to avoid it, but Ruth didn't.
default_unsure.png

Gary

I'll be watching this topic as I have never found anything that helps. That stuff is awful. Only thing I have found is time.

Barbie

Sorry, I can't help you with a remedy but did you know you can eat it? Once it is cooked it loses its sting and is very healthy. (I haven't actually tried it but have read about it.)

Nothing really. My place used to be covered in it and have slowly gotten rid of most of it. I have a very low threshold of "ITCH" and I practically have to tie my hands behind my back to not scratch it until it stops burning. Some type of Lidocaine ointment might help since it is a numbing agent.

I've only immeadiatly done something, but maybe it'll help.

Take a hose and turn it on. Leave it running until it is REALLY cold. Then, spray it on the sting. This usually "freezes" the stinger and makes it release from the skin.

I think I've heard that jewelweed is supposed to be good for it, but you have to know what that looks like (and have it around!)
default_sad.png

Fill a bowl with water as hot as she can stand, add a bunch of pennies, yes pennies and let her soak as long as she can, repeat this often and the inflammation will go away. I would suggest some stones but I know you don't have time to wait for that so pennies work great honest.

OH! and if you have comfrey growing round, lay that on after to heal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aveno Oatmeal bath is what we used when I was little. It worked for me. That stuff is yucky!!!

In England we would always rub what we called Dot leaves on the the stings. I am sorry I don't even know if the English nettles are the same as in America. Dot leaves always grew near Nettles though.

I did a search and I guess I had the name wrong. It is a Dock Leaf

The traditional remedy for nettle stings is rubbing with the crushed leaf of the dock plant, Rumex obtusifolius, which often grows beside nettles in the wild and has a milky substance which can cause dermatitis. Plantain and Mallow are other traditional remedies. The alkalinity of the sap may counteract the nettle's acids. Nettle itself will release alkaline sap when macerated.[8] While there is no scientific proof that this remedy works, searching for and using a dock leaf at least takes the mind off the stinging pain somewhat. Though unproven, some claim that dabbing mud on the affected area, allowing it to dry, and rubbing it off can remove the stingers. Another disputed claim is that the spores of certain ferns can lessen the pain by rubbing the underside of fern leaves, where the sori are located, on the affected area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumex_obtusifolius

Emma

When I first read the title of this topic I was sure some one was looking to get some! :DOH! We happen to have plenty if anyone needs any!

As far as reducing the stinging and itching running cold water has helped but seems to wear off after feeling starts coming back.

Mark

A "Dock leaf" works better than any store bought stuff. Barefoot posted some good stuff about it.

BTW... I too hate stinging nettle!

Fill a bowl with water as hot as she can stand, add a bunch of pennies, yes pennies and let her soak as long as she can, repeat this often and the inflammation will go away. I would suggest some stones but I know you don't have time to wait for that so pennies work great honest.

Sage is a good one to know about that........

Just was wondering...what a bout aloa vera ? It works on burns.......

Aloe vera is great after the soaking...thanks Ma. I know most folks aren't too sure about this new me but it does work.

I've also heard the the SAP from the nettles will stop it from stinging!

So, how do you get that without getting stung again???
default_unsure.png

Lucy

I was told baking soda paste (baking soda+water) works. Haven't tried it myself, though.
Thanks for all the ideas.

Tuesday afternoon I managed to run right through a knee high stinging nettle plant while trying to get two geldings back into their lot. I got in the pool immediately afterwards which soothed it while in the water but did nothing in the long run. Then applied hydrocortizone cream. Still not much relief. At this point my leg was hot and swollen and very itchy and painful. Lathered on Caladryl lotion which did give some limited relief. Yesterday I discovered the baking soda idea on the internet and tried it. It gave the most relief so far. I am about to try the hot water and pennies idea as I still have swelling and itching. Thinking I must be allergic to the stuff. I don't think we have any dock leaf. I'll try aloe after the hot water and pennies.

Ruth

Thank you so much. I am amazed. I ran pure hot water into the tub, then poured about 100 pennies in and knelt on top of them so they were touching the majority of the stings. I stayed in until the water was cool. The pain and itching and most of the swelling is gone. I did not have any comfrey so I put pure aloe gel on afterwards. I am so grateful.

Ruth

PEE ON IT!
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
:DOH! SERIOUSLY! Also cider vinegar works wonders... Goodluck, we hate the stuff!

Latest posts

Back