Still Waiting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all-

Sorry to take so long in getting back with you---I had to be away today to tend to family matters.

Anyway, here is the update from the CO vets-

The phone rang- I answered with great anticipation. The vet said, "I have an answer for you!" So, she proceded to tell me that after three ultrasounds and xrays, she found that Gma Mare

did not have a foal in her at all! I about fell over!! She apparently slipped it awhile back and we didn't know it. I must admit I am relieved, disappointed we won't have a foal out of her, but definately relieved there is not a dead baby in her that we had to figure out how to get out. The movement was gut motility.

Anyway, Gma mare and her buddy arrived safely home from CO at 1:00 am today. Thanks SO much to my wonderful neighbors and friends for doing the long distance hauling for me, as I had to be away for my sister's

memorial today.\

What an experience this has been! Thanks for all your support!

Sorry you've missed out on a baby but so happy your mare is not at risk!

So happy to hear that your mare is fine and you don't have to worry about her. Sorry she slipped the foal.

So now I have a question for you all
default_smile.png
Do I tell the vet that 'goofed up' what happened or just leave it alone? I use that vet alot and he has never misguided me in the past. I am afraid if I tell him

the mare was not pg, I may end up without a vet!

default_smile.png
Do I tell the vet that 'goofed up' what happened or just leave it alone? I use that vet alot and he has never misguided me in the past. I am afraid if I tell him

That's a tough one, but I'd likely leave it alone; especially since no harm was done, except maybe to your pocketbook. did the vet that diagnosed her open say if she had fluids in her or anything that might give the impression of a foal still being there (dead or alive)? Mostly just curious.

So very sorry that there will not be a foal for you, but it is great news that your sweet mare is fine and wont be needing any treatment.

Did the vet say anything about all the drugs she was given or offer an opinion as to whether they might have affected the foal? If not, then I agree with the others and would leave speaking to usual vet unless he asks. If there was a chance of the drugs causing the loss then you might have to think again.

default_smile.png

I know if it was my vet I could tell him and he wouldn't be offended, in fact knowing him he'd want to contact the vet who sorted it out and try and learn from it.

But I think it largely comes down to how you and your vert interact and how you think he is likely to take it.

Sorry about the much -anticipated foal but SO glad your prized mare is OK!! It sounds a bit like what happened to us a few years ago - a mare we sent to an outside stallion came back confirmed in foal and we waited with great anticipation for our first mini foal. Her pregnancy seemed to proceed normally, she bagged up right on schedule, etc, and then her milk stopped changing. We had an external US and the vet said she was 99% sure there was no foal. Then the mare cam back into heat! Apparently they don't call it a "false pregnancy" but that is what we called it. It can only happen if the mare was pregnant and then slipped the foal. We were sure we were feeling the foal kick and even bought a camera and put the mare on Mare Stare.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your vet. If it were either of mine (one for repro work, a closer one for all else, including foal delivery!) I would feel comfortable letting them know and helping them learn. I think I would just say I was worried about the mare, sent her to X, and they found no foal.

Latest posts

Back