Still on my driving search

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
Katelands Miniatures?? I am new to driving so I dont know this partriculars farm name. I found a horse I am interested in and the lady bought her from Katelands Miniatures last yr. She looks a bit out of shape but the lady gaurantees her. Any info would be great.

Thanks

PS the other mare fell through since she was not driven in a yr. I need a horse that is more broke at least for me

I am from Katelands!!! and love it!!! i can help you with eveything!!

From everything I've seen and heard a horse trained by Kateland is a good investment.
default_yes.gif

Leia

I hadn't heard of them, but just checked out their website and videos and......WOW I'm impressed!
default_new_shocked.gif

Good thing I'm 3,000 miles away or I'd want one!

UGH!!!! I dont want to talk about it
default_no.gif
!!! The lady sold the mare!!!! She told me she wouldnt post the pic until Monday and that would give me time to figure shipping or if I should just go and get her myself. Well... she posted it Sat. I called her on Monday and told her I would take the mare and she said "oh she is sold". I know business is business but I was still upset. She said someone from Michigan was buying her. That is really far so I thought maybe it would not work out. So I told her to call if it doesnt work out call me and she didnt get back to me. So my waiting and reserch burned me in the end as ususal!!!

That's a bummer, but don't let it get you down, Zoey! You are wise to do your 'homework' and ask around before buying! Been there, done that--and KNOW what a downer it can be, but have faith--you CAN find the horse that will be 'right' for you!

One thing I've come to realize is that in the world of minis, there are a number of horses advertised as being driving horses, but that the reality is that they may not really be trained to be a complete, well-experienced, and DEPENDABLE driving horse for a novice driver. EVERYBODY believes they can 'train' a mini to drive, but that simply doesn't turn out to be the case. Accepting having a cart 'attached' is NOT the same thing as being a truly 'trained' horse.

Ask questions about how the horse is to: stand quietly to be hitched, stand quietly when you enter the cart, and wait for you to ask for it to 'move off', respond to rein and whip signals quietly and correctly, understand and respond to WHOA(VERY important!), and is it quiet and not upset by traffic, dogs, noise, children, unexpected sights and sounds, and the like.Does it accept breeching?! Has it EVER 'run off', or in ANY way been 'in a wreck' with the cart? This is a very short list; in truth, I've come to believe that the PROPER training of a driving horse is more complex and more 'vital' than that of a riding horse!

You will find what you need and want; just try to be patient, and continue to do the good job of research!In the meantime-is there a knowledgable driving instructor near you, where you could learn more about the subject yourself? My recommendation would be an ADS-oriented, NOT a breed show oriented, person, so you can learn more of the genuine principles of driving, not just how to send a horse round and round a ring.

Best of luck,

Margo

I know. I found a lday in SC that has nice mini but not registered. She is a professional trainer and doesnt really care about registration. She has a liscense to drive them on the street even. She shows them in dressage in horse shows. She wants 3200 for the pair. That to me is a lot and they are not even reg!!! So I will see. She invited me down to stay at her guest house. Aaah we will see!!

Thank you. I checked out her web site. I would take any of them
default_biggrin.png

Ohhh I would be sooo happy if she could help me. Days like today make me want to drive!!!

Latest posts

Back