stifle problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know about Minis but on racehorses we would clip the stifle and they would race again does that help? Maybe it will bum it up for you.

Our vets are doing arthroscopic surgery on stifles and its all but a routine procedure now. Maybe Dr Pam will have some input. I do know a neighbor had a horse that was unusable and three weeks later was starting to drive again.

Assuming the surgery works for them, I think they can certainly go on and drive.

I just had a filly done - they didn't cut the ligament, only nicked it with the scalpel, but he felt she would be fine to go on and do anything we wanted with.

Jan

It obviously does depend on the severity of the stifle problem but I have always been told (by a few vets included) that it's better to leave it as is rather than have the surgery...as the surgery will bring arthritis on much much quicker.

Often a stifle problem is more an eyesore to us and doesn't hurt the horse. It also can be managed by keeping fit/regular exercise(including lots of hillwork) and not being overweight. Obviously the above does depend on the problem and how severe it is.

Thanks for the info. I have asked around and the other people I talked to said it can be done. The horse is four months old and locks up a little bit but when I get him will start working him with long walks and see if he improves and see if he grows out of it as well. He's a full brother to a mare I have and they were born on the same day. So, since he is only four months old he has three years before he starts driving.

I have found that most of the stifle problems that foals go through are quickly outgrown with no intervention. I would certainly hold off on the operation until he's at least a yearling and then see how he is doing. Probably won't need anything done at all.

tigeresss said:
It obviously does depend on the severity of the stifle problem but I have always been told (by a few vets included) that it's better to leave it as is rather than have the surgery...as the surgery will bring arthritis on much much quicker.Often a stifle problem is more an eyesore to us and doesn't hurt the horse. It also can be managed by keeping fit/regular exercise(including lots of hillwork) and not being overweight. Obviously the above does depend on the problem and how severe it is.

449841[/snapback]

This is a well wives tale really what causes issues is them actually locking as basically in very short terms it is bone rubbing on bone causing it to get "stuck" I would have to have a diagram to show the pics the way it was taught to me.

My horse (big) had surgery and went on to show and WIN in hunter over fences, hunter under saddle, west pleasure , trail and was doing dressage for many years with no issue.

So in answer to your question there is really not any reason why a horse wouldnt be able to be used for driving after a standard stifle surgery assuming there was no complications

We have a mare that when she was younger would catch in her stifle. Our vet at the time told us to put her on some minerals that sometimes as they grow they don't get enough of what they need, so the stifle problem. We gave her some Purina 12 12 and have had no problems with stifle since. She is now 4. I'm sure it doesn't work in every situation but it's worth a try.

They can be driven, but cutting should be the last resort as it is permanent.

If the mini is young, please wait as they often grow out of it. I would first try nutrition and exercise before cutting. I've seen a number of young horses that click and lock randomly as yearlings grow out of this, and only a couple of horses over 4 that locked regularly. One only locked at a walk, trotting or running it never did, so I would consider seriously why the need to cut before doing it.

The horse will be more prone to arthritis and it can affect their ability to 'lock' their leg when they sleep standing up.

I would not even consider it on a four month old that could still walk without pain- and I am the Queen of scepticism when it comes to stifles!!!
rolleyes.gif
If they were locking solid I might have on scraped, not cut- it is a very small incision to do this. I donated a mare that came to me free to a local Safari Park - Woburn Abbey, no less- and she was six and locked solid. Their Vet, as you can imagine, is not only actually on site and, as far as they are concerned, free, but also deals with all the Duchess's very high class Racehorses!! He opted to scrape, not cut, one only, the worse side. She was up and running within the hour (they tried to keep her in, they tried to keep her quiet, this was not in her nature!!) She is now pulling a cart for the kids in the petting zoo, as sound as a bell. She will need ongoing Vet care as she gets older but, where she is, this is not a problem. I also had a "no-breed" contract with them, no quibbles!! The best place to work with I have encountered.

Michelle@wescofarms-Said what I said how I wanted it said! You may hvae noticed my last post made no sense...clearly I was extremely tired. What I was trying to get across has now been said though.
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back