Stifle joint

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katrina

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a mini that has stifle issues, they get stuck from time to time. She is 4 years old, it doesn't happen often but I have been talked to about surgery. Has anyone had this type of surgery on a mini? Is it possible she could outgrow It? Have you noticed if it happens when they are due for a hoof trim? More in winter? Any info would be great. Thanks a bunch

I know several people on the forum have done the stifle surgery. They just haven't see this post yet.
I had one mare that did that. I returned her to the seller where I got her. The surgery was done on her and she and her companion went on to win driving classes. The seller was happy to take her back and wasn't concerned about the stifle issue.
I don't think they grow out of it. I did not notice it being worse before/after a trim, or seasonal. I think sometimes it starts about that age--that's how old mine was when she started it, and that's what I was told then. I would look into the surgery for sure. I don't think it is that big a deal to do.
The picture is the mare and her driving mate. Tipsey and Targ.jpg

I know several people on the forum have done the stifle surgery. They just haven't see this post yet.
I had one mare that did that. I returned her to the seller where I got her. The surgery was done on her and she and her companion went on to win driving classes. The seller was happy to take her back and wasn't concerned about the stifle issue.
I don't think they grow out of it. I did not notice it being worse before/after a trim, or seasonal. I think sometimes it starts about that age--that's how old mine was when she started it, and that's what I was told then. I would look into the surgery for sure. I don't think it is that big a deal to do.
The picture is the mare and her driving mate. View attachment 42753
Thank you so much

We bought a stallion with a stifle issue years ago. We already intended to use him as a driving gelding, so it wasn't too upsetting. The surgery was simple and quick. He wasn't "laid up" for much more than a few days, as I recall. The vet gelded him at the same time.

Our very favorite horse vet we had over the years happened to specialize in performance horses and he once told us that stifle problems ARE hereditary. Youngsters CAN outgrow the problem with normal activity (because it can be caused by a sudden growth spurt), BUT once they are over 2 yrs old you should consider the quick surgery. And my personal advice is to not use them for breeding.

My experience that most out grow it, but I have had the surgery done a couple of times. Both were successful. It usually occurs most during the growth period during the yearling year. If it shows up later and is only intermittent, I would not be too concerned about it. The two that I had done got stuck much of the time, that was the reason for going ahead with the surgery which seemed to be fairly simple.

Latest posts

Back