stifle issue? Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy4H

Reaction score
We have a yearling gelding who I have noticed recently has been walking somewhat stiffly with his right hind leg. As I am new to minis, we've had him for about a yr now, I wanted to get your opinions. It's so slight that at times I'm not really sure if it's my imagination or not, at a trot he looks fine but at a walk at times he just looks stiff. If this is indeed a stifle issue could it just be a growth issue ? I've read some past threads that say he can outgrow this. Should I excercise him more? We don't really excersise him per se he usually just runs around on his own and we get him out for some walking and trotting. Or should I get the vet out to look at him, he doesn't seem uncomfortable. - Cindy

If the stifle locks the leg is totally straight and they drag the toe until it unlocks. Only happens at the walk, once they start trotting they're fine.

Yours may just be a little straight in the hips right now. Minis are not known for having good hind ends. IMO it's one of the biggest problems the breed is going to face in the next few years.

The safest way to work stifles in a young horse is to walk them over cavelettis ( large pvc pipe works for a mini ). I use 4 pieces of pipe one stride apart (depends on the horse, between 18" & 24" usually )

I was told a lot of minis grow out of stifle lock. It just happens when they are younger. I have an 8 year old going into surgery saturday for his. His leg will completely lock and you'll have to back him up to unlock him. I would just watch your baby right now and wait to do anything drastic unless it progresses more.

Latest posts

Back