Steps to Register!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrah

Reaction score
I have just recently purchased a yearling sorrel miniature colt. I will make my final payments on him in September and October. Both his parents are double registered AMHA and AMHR.

I would like to get him registered in one or both registries but I am unsure of the steps both the breeder and I need to take to get him registered! I have printed some form from the AMHA website. I printed the registration application and the ownership transfer forms. Can we send both forms at the same time? If I also send my application to become a member of the AMHA will I also get the special registration discounts, or will the orginal breeder have to become a member as well?

and just as a side note...does a membership with the AMHA come with a subscription to the magazine?

Thanks in advance.

[SIZE=14pt]You can send in your membership and the applications at the same time. First step.... did the breeder send in a stallion service report before the foal was born? if not they need to do that first and that requires the late fee. Next you have to do the application which after 6 months also costs more in both associations. Then for amha you take 4 pictures of the horse one from each side and 2 head on with the forelock pulled away. These have to go with your application.[/SIZE]

Also if the breeders are not the owners of record then they need to bring the papers all current, file a stallion service report, they have to do the foal registration application and sign a transfer to be sent at the same time making you the new owner.

yes the nagazines are part of the membership.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
The breeder owns both the mare and the stallion, so would she need to send a stallion service report? If we dont need the stallion service report because of this do we send the registration application (I noticed for AMHA a ownership transfer is already on the registration application.), and my AMHA member application?

Would we get the cheaper rate in AMHA for registration if I send in my AMHA membership? Or would the breeder have to be a member for that to apply?

And last questions....Are there any rules related to the naming of a miniature? I know breeders use prefixes. I have seen some minis with names almost identical (except the prefix) to famous Arab or Quarter Horses. Is this allowed?

Thanks for the help!

[SIZE=14pt]A stallion service report is supposed to be sent in to the registry in december of the year that the horse SERVICED the mares. IT has to go in every year on every stallion that was breeding mares. They can sign the service Certificate on the bottom of the registration. If you send the reg in at the time you send your membership in then you get the cheaper rate. If the pwners of the stallion and mare are not members im not sure but I think the late stallion report is more money.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Lyn is right, call AMHA and AMHR tomorrow and see if there is a stallion report on file and the mare is listed on it. If there is and she is you are ready to start. Fill out all paperwork, applications, transfers, memberships, everything. Make sure you take 4 good pictures for AMHA, one of each side and two of the front and pull the forelock aside so you get the entire front of the face. They must be able to see the legs clearly so try to stand the horse on a solid surface or at least not in the grass. Mail everything together with the member fees include and both registries will process the whole deal at the same time.

If there isn't a stallion report, have the stallion owner fill one out with the mare on it and send it in at the same time, they will also process that at the same time. Its much easier on the registries if you include all paperwork together that way they can process the entire registration and transfer at the same time.

Make sure the stallion and mare are either under 5 for AMHA or have already be taken permanent, for AMHR they should be permanent at 3.

You can go to both websites and find all the information about naming and such. Make sure you print out work orders from both so they know what you are sending in and the cost.

Good luck and if I can help at all just ask. I can also look up both the stallion and mare and tell you if they are permanent or need to be.

Karen

Latest posts

Back