Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The girl does not have a name yet. I was thinking Dally maybe but our mustang is named Sally already 😂 we were told she is bred so the 28th we have an ultrasound set up for her to see! For now they are safe and warm with full belly’s. (Not too full though) 😉 I can’t wait till they are healthy weight and we can start trying to drive them! How stinking cute will that be!

With as thin as the younger one is, go slow with refeeding, start with just hay, lots of small meals throughout the day so you don't overload his system. After he's used to regular meals of hay and had time to start gaining a bit of weight, then a slow introduction of feed is possible. UC Davis refeeding program is a good place to start for how to proceed with safely refeeding thin horses.

Much wisdom and good advice given. Thank you for giving them a safe home and dedicated care. 🤗 They are beauties even in their current shape.

Best wishes on their continued recovery and foaling. It is hard to imagine a foal surviving IF the mom hadn’t been removed from her former ‘home’. Or the mom either for that matter! Now they all have a chance. 💕

Thank you for sharing your story and photos!

Poor babies! Do frequent trims on him with a good farrier and they can help him with the cow hocks. Also exercising on hills and more weight will help. I did a lot of reading about it because my almost 2 year old was cow more cow hocked when she was younger - even noticed it as a weanling - but is slowly improving. Sometimes their hips are narrow so they don't use the legs properly and thus cow hocks, so building up some hip muscle can help. Also from what I have read, often some of the best driving horses are a bit cow hocked! No reason why he can't drive when he is older as long as he is sound.

Poor babies! Do frequent trims on him with a good farrier and they can help him with the cow hocks. Also exercising on hills and more weight will help. I did a lot of reading about it because my almost 2 year old was cow more cow hocked when she was younger - even noticed it as a weanling - but is slowly improving. Sometimes their hips are narrow so they don't use the legs properly and thus cow hocks, so building up some hip muscle can help. Also from what I have read, often some of the best driving horses are a bit cow hocked! No reason why he can't drive when he is older as long as he is sound.
Luckily my boyfriend is a fantastic farrier! I turn him out daily in sand to get him exercise. Once he has a bit more weight I plan to start taking him for walks up and down our HUGE hill on our road.

Nope.
Wow that barn is amazing! Did your amazing farrier boyfriend whip that up for you? Jealous!! Your little ones look like they love it...
Nope! My moms boyfriend is a carpenter and has help me and my mom build every building on the property! I certainly am taking notes though! We have quite the funny farm so we have lots of different barns. Luckily they all match since we get to do them ourselves!

Nope.

Nope! My moms boyfriend is a carpenter and has help me and my mom build every building on the property! I certainly am taking notes though! We have quite the funny farm so we have lots of different barns. Luckily they all match since we get to do them ourselves!
I’m taking notes too! I’ve gotta build a henhouse/feed/tack shed/horse shelter complex shortly! My husband doesn’t have skills or time! My dad died a couple of years ago and he would build me EVERYTHING!! Do you think you’ll put a ramp or maybe a step up?

I’m taking notes too! I’ve gotta build a henhouse/feed/tack shed/horse shelter complex shortly! My husband doesn’t have skills or time! My dad died a couple of years ago and he would build me EVERYTHING!! Do you think you’ll put a ramp or maybe a step up?
I wish you luck in building stuff!! It’s so rewarding. We built the dirt up right there in the front so it’s not such a drop. We haven’t completely decided where we want it so until we decide we won’t make anything permanent!

There's a lot of good snippets of advice already given. Follow those.
Also, don't worry about the cow hocks. My most successful little 10.2 hh (Welsh) gelding had the cowyest hocks I'd ever seen. When he was fully matured & educated he would win championships in harness & under saddle at nearly every show entered because his action in front was spectacular; like he was trotting on fairy wings. Gorgeous in harness.
I agree with all of the great advice you've had so far.
Mostly, not too much feed too soon. As you would agree, it's all about his happiness & wellbeing & with that you're well on the way. I will follow his updates.
You've done a wonderful thing by rescuing him. All the very best to you.
x Linda.

Slowly getting there! It has only been a few weeks but we are getting better! The vet came out and confirmed a pregnancy on the mare! Also told us our little rodeo is a stud. Please don’t let him be the father of this foal. He’s also looking to be closer to 4 in age, so seriously… fingers crossed he’s not the sire 😅 the vet will not cut him until he has put weight on. That will take awhile. Then she says we will have to wait till fly season is over so it’s looking like he will get to keep his jewels till fall. Any guesses on what color this dude is?7E2A14EB-531E-464F-BFBD-E96A27D2FEC3.jpeg1241C265-7246-43DE-B41E-82EE67CDF093.jpeg

Last edited:
You got a bonus mini 😂. Have you had any foals before? There's lots of info on the breeding forum if you need it. If your little guy is 4 and still a stud you might want to start figuring out how to put him and the mare side by side until after he's gelded, he can breed her after she foals. I don't know if it's possible there but if you can put a camera up in a stall for her it will make watching her much easier for you at night.

They will be separate as soon as she is getting ready to foal. We check her daily but right now they are doing well together. He’s too malnourished at the moment to try anything. The vet was not concerned with keeping them together awhile longer. I didn’t even think about shaving all his color off. It was my first time ever clipping a horse 🤦‍♀️😆

Latest posts

Back