Starved Mini and feeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskin gal

Reaction score
Today I adopted a mini that had been left in a bad situiation with another mini. [Yes, I am always a sucker for the mistreated.] This little guys hip bones protrude even through the winter coat he has grown and he has absolutely nothing over his ribs or on his neck. What I would like is for some opinions on how I should feed him or if I am doing what seems right. I let him onto pasture for half hour this mornng and then put him in a dry lot with hay and two cups of Performance feed. Let him out for another half hour this evening and put him away with another 2 cups of feed and hayI have vitamin supplements on hand: also Red Cell... do you think it would be good to give both to him and would keeping hay for him 24 hours a day at this stage be right? I don't want to cause any founder or over do anything that would cause harm...your opinions would be welcome. I also have beet pulp pellets on hand that I can feed him also. The hay I am giving is a good quality grass hay, nice and soft and green. My heart really goes out to this poor little guy. BTW he is 4 years old and has been gelded. He is so lethergic and sad looking... Thanks for your advice, Mary

Hi Mary

First thanks for taking him in!

We have fed up so many starved horses here and thru cmhr its not even funny
default_sad.png
Heres how we do it and how I have been advised by osu and isu

Normally we start with a hay only diet for the first few weeks. We gradually build up until they are pretty much on free choice hay (not everyone can do that) Most universities recommend alfalfa hay for starved horses but grass hay is okay if you cant get it.

About week 2 I start slowly adding a complete feed like Equine Jr or Senior depending on age. Then I gradually build that up. While Im doing that I am cutting back a bit on the hay. I prefer complete feeds because they already have beet pulp and all that in them. So its just a much easier way to feed.

Once they are eating good and feeling better we start them on a deworming program.

I dont do red cell very often unless I know for sure the horse is anemic. Most just need a really good feed and will bloom from there.

Be warned that once they start eating well you usually have a whole different horse on your hands LOL. I have seen so many go from lethargic just plodding around to onery and a bit of a challenge
default_smile.png
But thats a good thing. Some just get suprised by how much their demeanor changes and then you see some of the training challenges you might have ahead once they feel better.

Sending good thoughts!

I fed an emaciated horse and spoke to a vet and nutritionist regarding how to go about it. She suggested small handfuls of high protein alfalfa or very good second cut grass hay for the first week or so fed as many times per day as I could rather than leaving them with a large amount of feed that they would likely gorge themselves on which could lead to more troubles. Once the mare was to the point where she would eat slower with more control then I could start with a complete pelleted feed. I was feeding at a rate of 3% of their body weight with as much as 1 1/2% of that as the pelleted feed. I used a high fat, high fiber feed. You want to slowly add weight or you can run into trouble. Good luck with your new charge and post pictures so we can see him in his new glory!

Thanks to both of you for your expert advice. I love a challenge so this will be be my project to keep my mind busy for the time being. I did take some pictures for a before and after but don't have them downloaded yet. This little,guy did have a good mom but this is what can happen when changes in a life such as a divorce come about. Thanks again, Mary

Latest posts

Back