starting to show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baydreamfarms

Reaction score
So I was gonna start small and just do our local county horse club shows. They only have one mini/pony class and a 2 and under class for her to enter in halter. But I want to get her used to the hustle and bustle of things other than our house.

I would need to get a halter, not sure which would be best. Also I am gonna have to start working with her a few days a week. They mainly do the western style but I want to show her later in AMHA so I am thinking the cable style but how much will she grow from yearling to adult. I know a lot about the big horses but not the mini's.

So any advice for a new to showing mini girl. I'm excited and nervous and worried about wardrobe. I am currently 6 months pregnant and know nothing will fit me right. Hubby is gonna show her in one of the classes but his outfit will be easy for a local show.

How do I measure for a cable halter? I saw it on a link somewhere but can't find it anymore. Our computer is on the fritz and works periodically so it makes it hard to keep looking.

The most important thing in the world ....i think.... is to have fun, and be confident in yourself

because if your not confident in yourself , no one else will

goodluck!!!!!!!!

I used to show 4-H as a kid and had the best horse ever.

I know it will be fun and with hubby being 6'7" and my filly being 28in tall the pics will be priceless
default_laugh.png

just remember to breath, have fun, and don't expect too much of your filly, because this is even newer to her than it is you. Don't be afraid to lunge her if you feel that she is antsy and nervous, lunging will only make her tired and that will hopefully help with her standing in halter classes. If she does something bad, which would form into a bad show habbit, correct it that first time. ask if you can walk her around the show ring at the start just so she sees everything and gets used to it. good luck!

I think you should just enjoy being out with other horsey people and have fun. YOu are pregnant so do not put to much stress on yourself and do not worry about nothing fitting right that is one of the best parts about being preggers
default_wink.png

Use your first couple of shows to practice and watch others go with no expectations other then having a good time

Good advice from Lisa.
default_smile.png
If your first couple of shows are open/4H type shows, you may - depending on your area - find very small classes, ie not much competition. Great place to get your feet wet! For AMHA shows, go watch a show or two first if you have the opportunity. Talk to folks, look at tack, clothes, etc. Lots of shows have tack vendors there who might help you with halter selection. If you will be showing AMHA halter classes, you will need a cable halter but there are different styles and some look very dated. Your filly will likely outgrow a yearling halter, but if she has a petite little head she may not. If you are having computer issues, you might email or call for print catalogs from Mini Express, Ozark Mountain Tack, Double Diamond, Supreme Equine Design......all good ones off the top of my head....talk to them about halters, look at their selections. And yes, most of all enjoy yourself.
default_smile.png

Jan

To measure for a cable halter start just below the cheek bone on one side, go over the poll to the same spot on the other side for the head measurement. Go from the same spot over the nose to the other side for the nose band measurement.

A nice pair of comfortable slacks, a pretty maternity top and comfortable low heeled shoes will work nicely for halter. Add a western hat and gloves if they show western where you are.

Good luck and have fun!!! Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I went to the show last night to see how they show. Some were in t-shirts and shorts and some were dressed to the hilt.

They show western style in halter so I am thinking just starting with a leather halter with some silver on it. And go from there. I'm mainly gonna just go and have fun and take lots of pics.

All your advice has been so wonderful! I really appreciate it!!

Latest posts

Back