Starting to get a bag?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small_Stars

Reaction score
I posted a couple weeks back on a mare with no bag, but had the dates mixed up. She is actually due this coming Thursday. Anyway, she is just starting to make a bag, but I couldn't get anything out of it yet. Does it look like it has a ways to go till it's full?

RipleybagMarch12013.jpg

That's quite a good bag and it looks as though she is right on the 'new' dates you posted for her. Hope you have everything ready for the foaling as I dont think you will have to wait very much longer. Good luck!!

This is her cleaned up and make-up on pic.

Ripley3.jpg

And this is her all fuzzy, preggo pic.

Ripleypreggo4.jpg

The breeder we got her from did loan us a foalalert to put on her, so that will help. Will probably be a lot of false alarms as she likes to lay down at night, but I'd rather run out there 100 times than miss it.

I am worried as it is still very cold at night. Anyone else have cold weather foals? Do they do ok? I have 2 blankets to put on it and I have a heater, but the barn isn't insulated and I wonder how much good the heater will really do.

Just for fun, this is a pic of her and her foal from last year.
default_smile.png

Ripley and our filly Windemeres Divine Vision By Dream aka  (3).jpg

Wow wonderful photos, thank you for sharing. Her bag looks very promising and as Diane said once those nipples start to point down you should get your new baby.

down

Beautiful pictures - love the one of her with her foal! I hope the weather improves for you over the next week or so, but loads of warm bedding and a rug should keep the new little one warm - I wouldn't trust a heater due to the posibility of fire. Just keep your straw (or hay if you are using it) well banked up round the edges (and doorway) of her stall to cut down any draughts at foal level and you should be fine - fesh air never hurt anyone but draughts can be deadly for little ones.

Good luck and safe foaling.
default_yes.gif

OK, I have straw pushed up around the walls. I have another bale on standby. We have the monitor up and running and we'll hang that on her halter when we bring her up from pasture. We have towels, foal blankets, tail wrap, iodine, etc all ready to go. I think we're just about ready and I am getting very excited!
default_smile.png

She had her foal tonight! The monitor didn't do us a bit of good as she never laid down to have it. We went out to check on her and there was a wobbly legged, nearly dry foal standing there. Have no clue what it is. Mama is very protective over her foal right now. We did get blankets on the foal because it's very cold. I'm hoping between the stall heater and the blankets it will stay warm enough. It is shivering a bit. The straw in her stall is deep, so hopefully it can bed down in that and stay warm. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.
default_smile.png

Wow this is surprising and very welcome news! I'm so excited for you and your new mama! Please let us know how your foal is doing, boy or girl, color and of course, LOTS of pics! Congratulations!!!

Thanks.
default_smile.png
Have no clue if it's a boy or girl yet. Mama is very protective and it was all we could do to get the foal blankets on. LOL So, I decided blankets was good enough at the moment. I left her alone. I have two blankets on the foal. It's still awfully cold. Mama is being very good though and has already nursed. It turned out to be a solid sorrel without a speck of white on it except for maybe 10 white hairs on its forehead. Other than that, no spots. That was kind of disappointing. LOL

Haha, that's the way it goes. We're starting to wonder if all our foals will be solid black. The mares colors are grulla, black, palomino, silver bay, silver dapple pinto. But those first two we lost were both black, no white to be seen. Makes me wonder. I'm so glad your little one is healthy, up and nursing though! Can't wait to hear more about the baby. I worry so much about the cold too, it's scary! Sounds like your little one is just fine though.
default_firstprize.gif

Congratulations!!! Looking forward to seeing the pics when you get them.

You might want to put a halter and lead on mama when you handle the foal - either have a handler hold her still OR tie her up where you can keep baby in front of her but keep yourselves out of range of hooves or teeth. Then keep the foal between you and mama to lesson her anxiety - that should allow you to handle baby quite nicely!

MANY CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yes, as has been said, with a protective mare, always keep the foal between you and her to stop her worrying about it. I would also offer your girl a treat and get a headcollar on (be patient and understanding with her at the moment) when you go to handle the foal, but I would never leave a headcollar on a mare with a foal at foot.

Your mare now needs several small wet feeds to get her digestive system working properly again or she may get a touch of colic if fed dry food only. Still give her access to plenty of hay as well of course. Does she seem ok - no rolling or too much laying down? Glad to hear the foal has been feeding, just keep an eye out for him/her to pass the first few small droppings without too much straining. If you see baby looking uncomfortable and straining to pass these first droppings, you may need to call your vet as baby may have an internal blockage that your vet will easily be able to sort out for you.

Are you still in contact with the breeder you got her from, if so, perhaps a call to her for any advice if you are concerned about anything? I think you are quite right to leave Momma and new baby alone to get to know each other and to make that special bond together, just keep a really close eye on them both to make sure they are OK. A lot of mares are very protective for the first few days/a week or so, but with understanding and careful handling, they soon relax and are happy to share their new baby with you and the family.

Again, many congratulations - please ask for any advice if you have any worries. Oh and dont worry about the spots - many horses spot out later - we waited 2 years for one of ours to finally show us its spots!!

Congratulations
default_thumbup.gif
I am so glad all went well. Paula and Anna have given excellent advice so the only thing I can think of to add is to remember to worm mum within 24 hours of foaling as this will avoid the foal getting runny stools when mum has her first heat.

Mama is still very protective this morning, but I did manage to get a couple of pictures.
default_smile.png
The baby did pass its droppings, but I haven't seen mama poop yet. We gave her a small feeding last night after she foaled and then I fed her this morning. She really hasn't been rolling or laying down at all particularly. I'll keep an eye on her for that though. I was mostly concerned with the baby getting chilled and was watching that, but all is well there. I guess now I need to keep an eye on mama. I'll get her wormed pretty soon too.
default_smile.png

Here's a couple of quick pictures.

ripleyfoal1.jpg

ripleyfoal2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back