Starting Shetland

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly the pony girl

Reaction score
I am currently planning on starting my Shetland Mare. I have other minis that I have broke to drive (if that is the right way to put it). So I have a fair understanding of how to teach a pony how to drive. But she is pretty green. She is halter broke and is okay with children, but she has a problem with bucking. She has also never been driven. Although she is healthy enough to drive. What methods do ya'll use and do you have any advice?

Thanks :p;) Have any of y'all ever started your minis? If so what method did you use? I generally first get them used to the harness. Then I work with them on their cues. Then I add a very loud sled and just tie it to their harness so it drags behind them. Then I get them used to the cart etc.. Of course there is much much more in between. Is there anything you would add?Also do you guys have any advice for bucking? She is a rescue and we don't know a huge amount about her. But she will buck if you try to go behind her. Which worries me as the cart will be behind her:oops:. Any advice is greatly appreciated :).

I start with the bridle and bit, letting him wear the bit while wandering around. We practice putting on/taking off. Then I introduce ground driving. I have a little sulky harness I use, but I really should invest in a surcingle.
I am not sure a horse that kicks or bucks will work as a driving horse. They can destroy equipment in less time than it takes to tell about it. But you will be able to tell when ground driving if it will be a problem.

Start her just as you have any others--longe lone, wear the harness, learn to carry the bit, then long lining, training shafts and then I produce the cart. Use a kicking strap; really, any horse should wear a kicking strap when starting to drive, as any horse can object to something and decide to kick or buck.

Start her just as you have any others--longe lone, wear the harness, learn to carry the bit, then long lining, training shafts and then I produce the cart. Use a kicking strap; really, any horse should wear a kicking strap when starting to drive, as any horse can object to something and decide to kick or buck.
I agree on the kicking strap. I have a horse that is learning to drive and she is doing well but I was driving her in an arena at the trainers. Next door a person was cutting a tree limb, which her kids picked up and waved at their cows which then stampeded and my horse took off like a shot cantering and then bucking and I flew out of the cart. She did have a kicking strap on but it wasn't adjusted properly....as we were surprised she could still get her feet up. You don't want it fit so snug they can't get movement though. That has been adjusted so she will keep both feet on the ground.
I recently saw a video on another way to fit a kicking strap by Andy on Coachman's Delight. If anyone reading this checks it out please let me know what you think and if you attach yours (if you use one) through the crupper as he shows.

The way that Andy of Coachman' Delight attaches his kick strap is the only way I've seen it done so the pony can't get a foot over the shafts. If they are determined they can still kick the cart no matter what we do. But if they are that determined they may need to step back to the travois...

Latest posts

Back