Starting Conditioning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Well we're about to start conditioning Coco, Roy and Joey this week. I decided that spring break week would be good to get started, so im hoping to get everything started up tommarow. I might hold off on Joey though for a few more weeks because he isnt really 'fat' and i have no plans at starting Lexus into conditioing ..maybe next spring when she is 2. But i'm just a little weiry of starting untill i understand the feeding during conditioing. Do you up the feed since they are now exersizing or do you just leave it where it is?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any work out idea's that they use or feeding tips for conditioning?

I'm looking for idea's ..what is your normal conditioing 'plan'?

Thanks

Leeana H.

I do up the feed on my mare and gelding when I exercise them. I just do about a half a cup extra sweetfeed. The extra grain is more energy for the horses.

I start conditioning by lunging 8 minutes each way at a fast trot, and slowly up the amount of time every other day until I get to 30 minutes in total. When I have been lunging for some time (A week or two) I start putting ground poles in the circle, or maybe a jump or two, and have them lunge over that.

I also drive them. Driving is great exercise for the horses.

Also, start working on their halter behaviors. Have them stand still for you for over 5 minutes. Have them give you a good expression, work on side passing, pivotting, backing, and turning on the forehand.

Good luck, and have fun!

Each individual horse is different and you will have to just carefully monitor them for fitness and weight. Remember to start SLOW and don't push them too hard at first. More work will mean more feed, but you will just have to play it by ear.

Andrea

I fully agree with Andrea. No matter how you do it with both excersize and feed, do it very gradually.

We are "free lounging" fans here. We start them at as little as 5 minutes each direction and after a few days increase a little from there......usually topping out at a total of 15 minutes each way.

Feed is also increased, especially grain, but gradually by the cupful. And we constantly check by feel their layer of flesh over the ribs, back bone, and hips. Every horse handles feed and excersize differently.

MA

Latest posts

Back