Starting a Miniature horse rescue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equinesr2blvd

Reaction score
any of you guys in the rescue can point me in the right direction for getting informarion about regulations and restrictions. I've emailed the State Of Maine about such things, I'm checking into grants and donations, but would love to pick your brains about the ins/outs of rescues.

I've rescued riding horses, dogs, cats rats, chickens and I'm VERY serious
thumbup.gif
about starting a miniature horse rescue. I already have a couple of people that want to become foster homes.

Ty for your time and help.

saludando.gif

well i can tell you it has taken two years to get this going and we still are not done. Theres no way i can begin to tell you here what it takes as it would take pages and pages and pages. And yes you would have to check with that state you reside in for their requirments. I also have found people are more comfortable with a rescue run by a bod as opposed to a self run. Its sad but so many self run rescues turn out worse than the farms the animals were rescued off of. It is very easy to be overwhelmed with rescues if you are self run.

Wed love to have you join us. email me if youd like to talk

KayKay is right about the starting of a nonprofit and especially a rescue it is a long and sometimes painful journey........I know the life expectancy of many rescues is 10 years at best........BUT something you can do is to network with mini and big horse people in your area and even other humane organizations....this lets them know that you are there and even if you do not do rescue in a technical sense you will become someone that people will turn to.....just this can help in situations that might be turning sour........

I get contacted alot about anything mini related and I have not lived in Idaho long but for some reason just the visibility I have leads to people knocking on my door .......often it is "hey I see you have ponies/minis/little horses.......I know this person who has some and doesn't know what to do with them" ...these are my moments to educate and change perceptions........I am surrounded by cowboy's and always get the "what do you do with them?" ....so without getting huffy or annoyed I just tell them....many times they want to know if they can come back with their kids or grandkids...or can they tell a friend who was kinda thinkin about gettin one........I have made many aquaintances this way and I do get turned to because of this.........mini's are becoming more and more prevelant here in Idaho yet there is very little networking...partly due to the lack of shows........I am in contact with a number of other rescues of other animals here my son volunteers at one on saturdays...and recently had the opportunity to chit chat with someone from our main humane/animal control in boise (we were both at an accounting seminar ) they do horse rescue and have been very busy this last year.....they have a lovely new facility that sadly has had to house a few too many cases this year...........so my suggestion is network and educate every chance you get.......

for the record I am not a rescue organization but rescue/foster/housing is just something I have always done....there is nothing more satisfying than finding the perfect home for a wayward animal
thumbup.gif

Rori, Again, your wisdom on this is wonderful! You are absolutely right!

And Kay... Sigh... Yep, it has been quiet the journey so far. Laughs! I never would have thought that this would have been so very complex. Sometimes I really wonder how we got to where we are today, but I am so proud of all those from the forum that has helped with CMHR and of you for coming up with the idea. Slowly we are making a difference, one horse at a time.

Latest posts

Back