Started cooking today!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Us N Texas

Reaction score
I am trying to beat the rush of tomorrow. This morning I baked my two pecan pies,(nervous time), I told them if they didn't say it was the best pecan pie they had ever eaten, I was going to scream. I cracked and shelled every one of those pecans and my hands are sore, scratched and gouged. I also went ahead and made the dressed eggs, and have them safely tucked away in the fridge. I will cook the turkey early in the morning, and hopefully get it done in time to have the corn pudding, broccoli casserole, and scalloped oysters in the oven at the right time so everything comes out together. The rest will be made on top of the stove, except for the dressing. I have my bread crumbled and will toast it later on this afternoon. I use biscuits, bread, and cornbread for a combination. The other ingredients will be added right before baking.

How many others of you started early? My simple menu will be turkey, ham (if it gets here on time),

scalloped oyster casserole, corn pudding, broccoli casserole, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy of course, cranberry sauce, dressed eggs, and a few hors' douvres, brought by one of our guests. This is a special thanksgiving for us, since we don't have any family here except the girls, and most friends will be going to their own families, so we have invited some others in our same situation to join us!

The girls wanted to have Thanksgiving dinner this year, but their house is just about a week away from being ready. They can have Christmas!

Here's wishing everyone a special Thanksgiving!

Carolyn

Boy that pecan pie sound heavenly. But I think I'll pass on the scalloped oysters eeek.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

I've been so busy lately that I decided to get an early start. I did some the day before yesterday and made my soup yesterday. I may do some more later today.

So far the menu is:

Menu

Hors d’oeuvrees

Apple Squash Soup

Salad

Wine

Rotisserie BBQ Turkey

Apple Sausage Stuffing

Yams

Mashed Potatoes with Gravy

Green Beans

Cranberry Orange Relish

Rolls

Pumpkin Pie

Pecan Pie

Coffee

Now if someone would come finish cleaning my house.

Apple Squash Soup
That sounds really good.

We went ahead and made the pumpkin pies today, and have the bread ready for stuffing. I have to work in the morning so hubby will have to make the rest of it.

Today I peeled apples & potatoes... then sliced and cut up the aforementioned. After that I peeled yams (sweet potatoes?), while my mother made the apples into pie, and then proceeded to make 2 other pies- one banana, one chocolate. We also boiled eggs to make deviled eggs with, made the cranberry sauce, and got the sweet potatoes/yams set up to bake.

The regular ole potatoes got stuffed in the fridge- they'll cook tomorrow, along with the turkey, stuffing (both in the bird and not), stuffed celery (peanut butter in some, cream cheese in others). Have the jello ready for fruit salad to be whipped up quick-like.

Olives are canned, rolls store bought... there's gotta be something I'm missing but hey, I can't remeber it right now.

Hah, hah, every time I hear someone say Pecan or walnut pie I think back to a walnut pie my mom made with a pre made pie crust. We all tucked in, hmmmm, something funny here, came to find out mom had left the wax paper on the bottom crust. My was that crust ever nice, not soggy at all! :new_shocked: :bgrin :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Sure brings back wonderful memories, sure do miss her this time of year. And then there is the memory of my dad carving turkey with Corgis at his feet. One for the platter, one for him, ooppps some for each dog! They sure loved him!

Today we made an apple pie and a pumpkin pie.
default_eat.gif
:

Tomorrow morning I will be getting the rest of the cooking going, nothing very fancy.

Turkey, yams, broccili, stuffing, olives, cranberry sauce and the pies of course.

Its just the three of us and my Mom.

The rest of my side of the family lives 8 hours away and on the hubbies side they live in Mich and thats

a ways from California.

Got the pumkin pie all baked up today, and the bird seasoned. It'll be going in the oven tomorrow early. Nothing fancy, just me, hubby and the pups. Which speaking of...they got their pre-Thanks Giving giblets boiled up in broth and mixed in with their dinner tonight. Their bellies are full and they'r snoring away on the couch dreaming of more turkey to come in the 'morrow. For us it's traditional, turkey, corn bread stuffing, jellied cranberries, gravy, corn, peas, biscuits, wine, pumkin pie, cool whip and coffee! During the day we'll just be grazing until the feast. :saludando:

Well, it is now the day after, and all are still stuffed. Not anything for breakfast even, except coffee! We have enough food left over that I don't have to cook for several days! Even our company took home lots of food! It wasn't our traditional Thanksgiving with 20-30 people gathered around, but it was a great one anyway! There was so much food we didn't have enough room on the table, stovetop, kitchen counters, and kitchen island to set it all! We have truly been blessed, and I wish for all of you that you were as blessed, full and happy as we were!

Latest posts

Back