Starlight Passes her Vet exam

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hylights

Reaction score
Well the vet came out to check out Starlight (I am constantly calling her Honey so she may get a name change ) And he says she passes basically, :aktion033: her teeth need floating but are Ok for now he didn't want to stress her more, she got tetanus and rabies vaccs and he says she needs better nutrition. He says to give her a half a bale of hay a day, that seems like an awful lot to me but I will bump her up from 2 to 4 flakes a day. she's getting 1 cup of triple crown lite twice a day. Her wound from the imbedded halter is already looking so much better, so he says to keep up what I'm doing ( Gotta love the Schrieners Solutuion!)The farrier is coming today or tomorrow . And I got out the clippers to clip the jaw wound and she was so good I did a little bridle path
default_smile.png
Yesterday for the first time in 4 days she's been with me she finally laid down in her stall at night
default_smile.png

Now to try this weekend to get her used to electric fence, I have 2 rows of tape and I am going to ad a third row of the rope braid in the middle. I have to divide my pasture in half as she is still terrified of my old gelding
default_sad.png

She normally lets me hug her in the morning but this morning she was a little sore, but overall she is a trooper, when she gets too stressed she stands in a corner of the stall with her head down and paws, she did that a lot at first, but yesterday only once, so we make progress!

Hylights,

1/2 bale does sound like a lot of hay for one mini. I know she is larger but that is still quite an increase. I would recommend feeding hay several times a day to help her adjust to getting more and better quality feed than what she had before you got her. I would be carefull getting her used to the electric fence especially where she is afraid or your gelding. Some animals can/ will bolt right thru when they get a shock. If your mare is afraid of the gelding there will not be much to keep her nearby if she gets out of the fence.

Glad to here she is doing much better and the vet report was good.

Mark

It sounds as if she is really improving.

I would have to say that half a bale of hay sounds like a lot. As previosly mentioned, just slowly work your way up to more hay. I doubt that she would even be able to eat 1/2 a bale! Bailey struggles to get though one full biscuit, although he is only 29 inches.

Thanks for loving her lots!

Thanks Mark,

I am feeding her 4 times a day, and taking her for a walk and letting her have a little grass once a day, so I will stay with 1 small flake each time, a half bale did seem like too much. I used the wrong word to say she is terrified of my gelding, she's kinda funny, they have adjoining stalls and at first she stayed away from the wall they share, now she stands near it and whinny's to him when he goes outside and she can't see him. If he sticks his head over the wall she used to squeal at him now she tucks her butt like she is going to kick and he backs away. But when I have to walk her past him she trots past , doesn't want to get too close yet. In the back area she will have plenty of area to stay away from his side of the fence. I planned on walking her around so she could see the fence and keeping her on the lead/lunge line until she learned the fence, I sure won't take her out there and let her loose until I think she understands. Is there a better way to introduce the electric fence?

Thanks,

Amy

Half a bail a day? No way no how. That's way too much. An impaction looking for a place to happen.

So glad though you seem to have things under control. That's great.

1/2 a bale of hay does sound like it's way too much. On the other hand, MANY people feed their minis free-choice hay. I just don't see a mini "gorging" on hay like they would on grain or pellets. So, I personally wouldn't worry about impaction (so long as there's plenty of fresh water).

As long as it is grass hay, go ahead with the hay, it won't hurt. Horses don't overeat hay like they would grain, just think of it as free choice hay feeding. Keeps them happy, something to do and way better for the gut than horses that are not fed enough hay. Their guts are made for eating roughage (grass) 20+ hours a day.

Latest posts

Back