standing your stallion at stud

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini horse mania

Reaction score
I have been CONSIDERING standing DJ for stud late spring to a very few mares..I have had a few people ask me to breed to him...they are mainly looking for the color he produces.he was hardshipped into A and R in 1995...so he has nothing on his papers....his foals from when nostalgia farm had him for so long speak for themselves.he is 17 years old and his fertility is good still. I have bred 3 mares to him myself and plan on keeping the fillies for my herd and to show. My question is....would you do it? Especially with the economy? My husband thinks i shouldn't because if Someone wanted a DJ foal....they'd have to come to me to get it....and he thinks That breeding a hardshipped horse is like breeding a grade horse.I would have agreed except for I have seen the quality there..I wouldn't have bought him at that age. seeing none of his get.I was thinking....if something happens to him. (GOD forbid) ...nostalgias double jeopardy would end with my herd.....and a very few more that have his get. If he were younger...i probbly wouldnt stud him out. I just love him so much ...I wish I could clone him....I believe it has been a while since anything was registered off of him...

Can anyone look him up to see how many foals are registered off of him????

Would you stud to a few outside mares?? Why or why not.....

In this industry, it is difficult to stand stallions publically. Mainly because everyone and their brother has a stallion they think should reproduce. I have operated the ASPC Classic Stallion Sweepstakes Auction for several years now and it is difficult to get bidders to bid on stallions. Economy plays a roll in it but the simple fact is that most mare owners in this industry also have a stallion. Until we get away from the mind set that everyone should be a breeder and every stallion should remain a stallion, there isn't going to be much demand for stud services.

With that in mind, you also need consider the headache that accepting outside mares and their owners on to your property can be. Horses can transmit STDs. Mares can injure stallions. Bringing new horses on to the property exposes the existing horses to new diseases and illness'. Liability on both parties if one horse injures another. The ability to safely house outside mares away from your herd. This just barely scrapes the surface of things you need to consider which are mainly medical and legal.

I personally wouldn't do it, I think I would have to agree with your husband and say if they want a foal by him bad enough they will pay it. If you decide to stud him out I would defintelly not go any lower then $500 for his stud fee, if they want to do it bad enough they will pay.

I do stand my stallions at stud but for a lot higher fees than I see alot of others charge. It is not worth the risk to me for only a few hundred bucks, my stallions matter to me enough that I have a lot of requirements for bringing a mare to them. If they really want a foal by them they will either pay the higher stud fee or purchase a foal by them. It is important to require clean cultures, I require the mares to be registered with at least AMHA or AMHR, must have current neg. coggins, current health papers, up to date on vaccinations, worming, and hoofcare, and mares must lead and tie.

I believe each breeding you sell is one less colt you will sell. I do it sometimes, but I usually don't enjoy it. I find it easier to ship semen that way I don't have to worry about mare or foal.

Dr Taylor

No, I do not but for several reasons, mostly along the lines of what Matt Taylor stated. I do stand one of my stallions to "locals"..apart from what I do showing and promoting AMHR and ASPC...I also make it a point to attend our county fair every year with a full string of ponies to promote locally, and in doing so, I have bred a handful of mares for the "locals". But it is not costing me any sales, as not one of the "locals" would be willing to pay what the resulting foal out of any of my mares and registered is worth or really where I would want one of my own bred horses at.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not also be able to guarantee a live foal unless the mare is tested for LWO ...correct...?? It just doesnt seem fair for me to say...no he cant breed your mare....she hasnt been tested..or no she is a carrier...but thats how i feel....DJ does carry the gene...some will breed anyway...I actually got cussed out over this...right after buying him..I got a phone call and she wanted to breed to him...she said it was her money and she wanted to do it...not with my horse....sorry...she looked like she was a prime candidate for a carrier..she was stunning..I would have to require a health check also...and definitely would have to be registered with A or R. I guess if someone really wanted to have a foal off of him and their mare....they'd pay...

It was just an idea...if I do it...it'll only be this year and just 2-3 mares.

In this industry, it is difficult to stand stallions publically. Mainly because everyone and their brother has a stallion they think should reproduce. I have operated the ASPC Classic Stallion Sweepstakes Auction for several years now and it is difficult to get bidders to bid on stallions. Economy plays a roll in it but the simple fact is that most mare owners in this industry also have a stallion. Until we get away from the mind set that everyone should be a breeder and every stallion should remain a stallion, there isn't going to be much demand for stud services.
I've noticed the same thing over here. Everyone has a stallion and unless you're standing your own for pocket change you don't get much interest.

I would not also be able to guarantee a live foal unless the mare is tested for LWO ...correct...?? It just doesnt seem fair for me to say...no he cant breed your mare....she hasnt been tested..or no she is a carrier...but thats how i feel....DJ does carry the gene...
Change your mind on that one
default_wink.png
It IS fair for you to say no, it means you are being responsible. You know your boy carries the gene so I would not accept any untested or positive mares.

I stand my boys at stud, I have a limit of foals they will produce in a year. Currently that is set at 10 each at most. Tinker covered 6 of my own mares so I offered 4 breeding spots to the public at a high fee. This avoids a glut of foals and, I believe, keeps the foals desirable. I offer a LFG and havea full breeding contract that has to be signed before the mare arrives.

Remember when setting your stud fee you are reflecting the value of your own foals.

And be as picky as you like about the mares! The foals will be a reflection of your stallion so you want quality foals on the ground. And remember that in breeding it is always the stallions fault
default_wink.png
Or so the mare owner says!

I agree, as Txminipinto said, there is SO much to consider.

If the mare owner is close enough to trailer over each day and handle the mare while teasing or breeding, it is certainly easier. If not, then the mare must stay on the stallion owner's property. This entails having a very safe place to house the mare, for maybe a month or more. She should not be placed with the herd. She should probably be hand bred, rather than field bred, since the stud owner would then know dates of breeding. The stud owner should have at least one other person, to help with the actual breeding.

The stud owner will have to set a fee for the time she is there. This is usually by the day. That cost might be different, if the mare also has a foal by side. This apart from the stud fee. He/she will have to probably offer, a live foal guarantee. If the mare aborts of the foal dies within the set time, then the mare must return and the whole breeding repeated.

Goes without saying, that the mare must have a neg. coggins, be up to date on shots and tested for LWO. She should obviously be able to be handled easily.

The stallion owner must have insurance for visiting mares. Things can go wrong in the best of circumstances.

Even if in season and fully ready, many mares will not wish to be bred. I know of two very famous stallions, who lost their lives from a kick by an angry mare. The stallion owner must decide, if it is worth offering services to outside mares, via live cover. You don't want your stallion injured and even be put off from breeding in the future, because of a nasty mare. Shipped semen seems to be the way to go really. And of course, everything written up carefully, in a proper contract.

Lizzie

I believe each breeding you sell is one less colt you will sell. I do it sometimes, but I usually don't enjoy it. I find it easier to ship semen that way I don't have to worry about mare or foal.

Dr Taylor
Dr Taylor, do you offer shipped semen?

I have studded my stallions out on a very limited basis. Mostly to close friends who I know take care of their mares, watch their cycles and the mares are only here for a limited time for breeding. I have also turned down quite a few requests to breed my stallions to other mares.

I agree, every stud service you give is one less foal you can sell. Plus lots of headaches. If they want a bloodline I have, buy the foal I produce. I have seen at least one other farm do a lot of standing of studs and then they were basically giving away their own foals because they had flooded the market close by already. Something to consider.

Dr Taylor, do you offer shipped semen?
We ship semen from our hackney stallion Arthur B. He is owned in a partnership and the partners want us to ship semen.

We not only don't ship semen from our shetland and mini studs, we also don't breed outside mares.

Dr Taylor

It can be a can of worms... I've found I do not want the logistics of dealing with other horse owners in a way that has me taking on the responsibility of caring for their mares (which often are emotionally precious to them, of course!). I think our stallions are pretty "elite", but I'm not in this hobby to do things I don't like to do. Most people interested in breeding minis have their own stallion and, right or wrong, think he's just the ticket. I've strived to pick the best stallions and the best mares to compliment each other. I am happy doing my own thing, without having to deal with anyone else's situations. I think most people who aspire to standing their miniature stallion at stud quickly become aware that it's not really all that rosey a prospect.

Thank you everyone. .I have decided that I am not going to risk his health...or him getting hurt beyond repair. They will just have to come to me to get a foal...its not worth losing him just for the stud fee....I would be out a lot more than just a horse..I'd rather have him with my mares whom I know wont hurt him... thanks again!!!

Latest posts

Back