Stalls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
Well I did a search and found the answer to one of my questions but not the other. What height of stalls should we have for the minis? And what height should the divider be?

My orginal plan was just making one stall large enough for the two but I'd like them to have their own stalls so I can mess with one at a time and they can have their own space should they not get along.

Thankyou in advance!
default_smile.png

At a minimum, you want the stalls tall enough for you to stand up in, to make it easier to clean out. I have 10 mini stalls. All but one of them are 8' wide x 12' deep, and 8' tall in the front and about 6.5' tall in the back. My dividers are 4' tall.

Thanks We are definately going to have the stall heights tall enough for me to stand in there. I was talking about the stall wall heights for the minis, not the roof. Should have put that in the first post.
default_wink.png
Thanks again.

Hello!
default_saludando.gif
I've added to my stalls, so I thought I'd respond. My mares get ornery with each other now and then, so I ended up adding one more 2 x 4 to the divider between their stalls. My stallion's stall is the highest--I'd have to measure, but I bet it's 50". The mare's stall doors were fine until the colt jumped in once, so after asking on here for advice, I followed Marty's idea of adding a dutch door to the top of their gates so when necessary, they can be shut. The only time that happens is if they are in their stalls before the stallion gets in, or when they have a new foal and are feeling very protective. The divider between the mare's and fillies' stall is lower because when I'm weaning, I want them to be able to touch.

I'd be happy to chat more about it, and take measurements tonight when I tuck everyone in if you'd like. Or you can get an idea from my website--on the "barns and pastures" page.

I think stalls for each horse is a good idea. My mares needed that, but my fillies hate being apart.
default_smile.png

Good luck!

My stalls are 6x8. they are 48" at the side walls and 36" at the gate. Mine are definatly B minis , and this is just low enough for them to put there heads over. the shorter one I had to add some fill to adjust the hight for her.

My stalls are 6x8. they are 48" at the side walls and 36" at the gate. Mine are definatly B minis , and this is just low enough for them to put there heads over. the shorter one I had to add some fill to adjust the hight for her.

Thankyou for the replies.

I'd be happy to chat more about it, and take measurements tonight when I tuck everyone in if you'd like.

I'd really appreciate it if you could get measurements.

Im going to make the stalls 6x8. Their stalls are going to be side by side to.

Thanks again!
default_smile.png

My stalls are odd sizes since we had to deal with what we have--which is a VERY big barn, but it has VERY big beams. Plsu the back area gets too damp if we have a wet spring, so I avoided that area. The stalls vary in width from 6.5-8' but are all 11' in length. The stallion's stall is 7.5' by 13'. I want larger stalls for mares because it seems too crowded in there when the foals are a few months old, so we'll be extending them another 3'. (Oh how I lvoe making changes in the barn!
default_yes.gif
)

It's important to me to have the stalls a decent size in case the horses get stuck indoors due to bad weather. I want them to be able to move about. If I had room, I'd give them all luxary accomodations at 12x12, but I think 10x10 is a great size.

12x12's are good sizes for mare and baby. My cousin has a mare back there with a mini baby and she's in a 12x12 and its nice and roomy for them. I got to play with the baby and just HAD to pick the foal up just once, I can't believe how TINY they are. I was loving on the little filly. She is just too cute. I told my cousin I needed to have a mare that had a baby so I'd have my own to play with, then said I'd just go back there and play with theirs...its cheaper that way! Lol. She's a little palomino baby.
default_smile.png

Also, for what it may be worth, when the stalls are rectangle, vs. square, they seem to poop more in one corner or end, vs. all over the stall. At least, that is what we've seen. Makes it easier to clean the stalls.

Also, just in case it helps, here's one of our barns. My husband has built several of these and is going to build another couple before we are done. He says they are pretty easy to build. I like how they are plenty "airy" and ventilated which I think is good for the horses if you do have to stall them for a period of time.

Three%20Stall%20Barn%20--%2011132005%20--%20006.jpg

Rafters%20--%2011132005%20--%20004.jpg

Rafters%20--%2011132005%20--%20001.jpg

My stalls are 10 x 10 and the divider and front wall are 30" but I did add a wire divider at the top for another 2 feet. This way, everyone can see each other but can't bite each other. I also added a 2 foot wire top gate that can be left open for the ones that don't jump out or can be closed so they can see out but not jump out. I did all of my stalls this way so any of them can be used for a stallion if necessary.

Ladysstall.jpg

I meaured the stalls. The stallion's is 48", the divider between the mares' is 39", and between the mares' and weanlings (now 3 yr old and yearling
default_smile.png
) is 35". I'll add that all my stall walls are 2 x 4s spread apart a bit so everyone can see out.

I like MBennet's arrangement!
default_aktion033.gif
That's what I did to the mares' stalls--added that half door at the top. They are tied open most of the time, but I'm glad they're there when I need them.

Good luck!

PS--Mary--that is a cozy looking stall.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies! This gives us a good idea on stalls for our two minis. Thanks again!
default_biggrin.png

Our regular mini stalls are 6x8 and they have plenty of room. Our foaling stall is 8x10 and that is also plenty of room. I'm not sure how high the dividers are but they are pretty high, we dont like them to be able to visit over the wall(we had a mare that was not the best behaved, rearing etc.) The doors are lower so they can visit over those.

Thanks! I just want to make sure my minis wont be able to jump out of their stalls. I am sure when I leave one in and take one out that there will be alot of calling and pacing for the first few times. Thanks again!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back