stallions and donkeys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
this is my first time on this forum...we have a few miniature horses....we went to an auction awhile back and were very taken with the miniature donkeys...such loves.
biggrin.gif
and we also liked a little hinny that went thru .I want to research them before I jump in.....one question I did have...will a mini stallion breed a jenny .....or are they harder to settle with a horse vs a donkey? Or do stallions even show interest in a donkey? I had a standard donkey along time again and just loved him..he was such a hoot!!! He was my first experience at driving and when we were transfered to Hawaii, selling him broke my heart. But I do miss those beautiful ears and music.

It is hard to NOT fall in love with the longears!

Some stallions will breed jennys and some won't. I've read/heard that it is harder to get a jenny settled with a stallion because of the difference in chromozomes. Meadowridge (Corrine) has a stallion that likes the jennys and will settle them. It's all going to depend on the stallion himself. Corrine could answer your questions more I think.

I have a jack that loves the mares and isn't sure what to do with the jennys.
rolleyes.gif

Hi, and WELCOME to the forum
saludando.gif
minimule is so right...its impossible not to fall in love with longears! There personalities along are just so comical and different then the horses, even diehard horse people who come over and usually told me I was crazy to have donkeys, now own one or two and LOVE then! I have a standard donkey, some mini donkeys, hinnys, and a zedonk. I have tried to several of my stallions on my jennies and not a one wants anything to do with them..except my Frosty. He settles the jennys as easy as he settles the mares, usually on his first breeding. I also have several friends who have tried to get there stallions to bred there jennys with no luck. Did you have any particular question about breeding stallions with jennys? I have had alot of forum members email me and ask me what the secret was..there is none, it all depends upon the stallion himself, few will like jennys but most wont. I guess I just got lucky with one. Corinne

Latest posts

Back