stallion tested

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

yellerroseintx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
903
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
My little medicine hat tested nO sooooooo what does that mean...can he be bred to a mare that is a LWO carrier..which if her mom is LWO she is at least a carrier..correct..????? Or does that mean he is a carrier also and that would be a non breeding pair? OR....is there a possibility she is NOT a carrier from her mom and I should have her tested also....geesh.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:

crponies

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
2,978
Reaction score
0
Location
central CA
He does have frame/LWO. nO means he has one copy of the gene. nn would be the results if he didn't have the gene and OO would be the lethal double dose.
 

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
4,029
Reaction score
68
Location
Ohio
With a n/O result, your stallion is in fact a carrier of the frame/LW gene.. This means he's heterozygous for LW and may or may not pass it on to his offspring.. Because of this you'll want to be careful as to who you breed him to, you won't want to cross him on a mare who is a carrier as the resulting foal will have a 25% chance of getting the LW gene from both parents and end up as a lethal white baby..

I would definitely check the mare you are questioning before breeding.. If her dam was also a carrier than she could in fact also be a carrier (if her sire was n/n then she has a 50/50 chance of being a carrier or not and if her sire was a carrier as well then she had a 50% chance of being a carrier and 25% chance of not being a carrier: (other 25% would have been O/O which she obvious is not since she's alive
)

Better safe than sorry~!
 

Reijel's Mom

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
1
Location
Conroy, IA
So now you know he is a carrier. . .if I were in your shoes I would now test all of my mares and any mare to ever be bred to him.
 

yellerroseintx

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
903
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
I would rather know than play roulette with my horses....sooo at least this is the first step in the right direction...thank you for your clarification...I thought that was what it meant .thanks

sooo that also means one of his parents are either a carrior or LWO positive..correct?
 

crponies

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
2,978
Reaction score
0
Location
central CA
Being a carrier is the same as being LWO positive. He is a frame overo/LWO positive/a carrier however you want to word it, they are all the same. Yes, he would have to get his frame gene from one of his parents.
 

Latest posts

Top