Stallion NOT interested in mare!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
Several girls have come in season this week. Thumper has bred them all, but one mare, a 3YO pinto, he bred once and he is NOT interested in breeding her again???? She is in flaming heat - tail straight out, winking, peeing, even nudging up against him. He is absolutely not impressed and will not breed her again. What the hey?? I only breed him twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, so he isn't being worn out. Any ideas suggestions?
default_wacko.png

This happens ALOT here! We have some stallions that are just plain PICKY. They pick and choose who they think should be theirs
default_rolleyes.gif
Silly boys. We have some mares who pick and choose stallions as well. Also, it may be that she is not 'ready' yet. I have an experienced stallion who will only cover a mare once or twice during her heat cycle and in 4 years owning him, I've only had one mare come back into season after being bred that one or two times. When they do their funny lip curling they are smelling the urine to see exactly where they're at in the cycle. My boy knows when a mare is at the end and that's the only time he'll cover her. Is this the first time your young mare has been bred? She may be having a 'off' heat if she is young and hasn't really been teased or been in with a stallion. In that case, your boy would know and wouldn't want to cover her.

Hello

It is possible your mare has already settled. I have mares that do this, and use two possible foaling dates for the next year. I would keep him with her, near though, just in case. Most stallions when left "free" to breed will only breed on "the day", one time.

Good luck!

Twice a day is a lot for a stallion... at least in a hand-breeding situation. Are you breeding two different mares each day, or the same one twice? If you only have one mare ready at a time, once every other day is all that is needed. Naturally in a pasture breeding situation twice a day is nothing, however, a pasture stallion has his choice of when, where, and who, which SIGNIFICANTLY influences his libido.

Like ohmt said, some horses can be real picky as to who they like and don't like, BUT it's not unusual for a stallion to not like a young, never been bred, mare. I don't know how they know the mare is a maiden and I don't know what difference it makes, but that has been my experience. It has helped if I don't give him any other options and keep the maiden and stallion in side by side pens. She eventually gets bred....hand bred. I don't pasture breed here.

Charlotte

Could she smell funny? Honestly, I had this with my race horse stallion, super picky, but I have also considered that some mares just could smell weird to them and turn them off......whatcha been bathing the mares with these days? And could she be sporting an infection maybe that he is detecting?

Try using a jump mare.

Tease a mare he likes, then when he's ready, shove her out and shove in the mare you need bred. Jump Mare. Dirty trick but it works.

"Twice a day is a lot for a stallion... at least in a hand-breeding situation. Are you breeding two different mares each day, or the same one twice? If you only have one mare ready at a time, once every other day is all that is needed. Naturally in a pasture breeding situation twice a day is nothing, however, a pasture stallion has his choice of when, where, and who, which SIGNIFICANTLY influences his libido. "

No I don't breed the same mare twice a day LOL! I breed them every other day and switch morning and evening. I don't think that breeding a healthy, in condition stallion twice a day is excessive. It just turned out that several mares came into season at once. Like someone turned a spigot on!!!
default_smile.png

Dana,

Please give me a call and I can explain what is going on.

John

Latest posts

Back