Stallion losing weight...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes, breeding stallions or mares with foals get their systems all out of whack during hormonal times.

They may have a magnesium deficiency which would cause them to stress and fret during this time which would keep them a nervous wreck.

When you are talking about valium, you are playing with fire.

Rockin Robin said : Be careful about using Body Builder if you are showing where they may test the horse. Although it is natural and the company "says" it won't test positive, it is a steroid.

This is very true so be careful.

If you want him to gain weight and just chill already, there are better things out there such as resurpine, but that has it's drawbacks too.

I'd go back to square one and begin again and start with the free choice minerals and salt block. You may also want to top dress his food with the free choice minerals and see if that helps him calm down any. Also, i don't know what you are feeding him but maybe a complete radical change is in order just to get him interested in food again. If he's on pellets, try sweet feed. If he still can't concentrate long enough to eat in peace, I'd try to take him out of the sight of the mares and feed him someplace where he can't see them and shove vicks up his nose if all else fails. This boy has to eat! And yes oats, will make him zoom due to the carbs but it's also fattening and beet pulp, will also put some pounds on him. Good luck!

Rockin Robin said : Be careful about using Body Builder if you are showing where they may test the horse. Although it is natural and the company "says" it won't test positive, it is a steroid.

This is very true so be careful.
I wouldn't want to confuse anyone with the facts, but (again!), this product DOES NOT contain any STEROIDS. It contains Plant STEROLS, which are NOT steroids. I think that the lable has been misread. Plant Sterols have not a thing to do with steroids and are healthy for horses and for people. You can google what plant sterols are...

The effect of an ingredient in Body Builder for Horses been compared (comparable) to the possitive side effect of steriods, but this does not make it a steriod. To my way of thinking, Spenda has a comparable effect (taste) to sugar, but it is not sugar and doesn't have the negative (empty calories) effect of sugar.

Everyone has their own horses and should make choices for their own horses. I have no issue with someone choosing not to use this product at all. But what I do have an issue with is spouting mis-information about what something does or does not contain.

Body Builder For Horses

Ingredients -- Gamma Oryzanol (1000 mg), Citric Acid (1%), in a specially formulated base of Corn Oil and Rice Bran Oil, Preservatives and Flavoring.

Equi-Aide Products) An oral alternative to anabolics that builds muscle quickly and works as an ANTI-STRESS all without side-effects. Active ingredients are Gamma Oryzanol, (from rice bran extract) that stimulates muscle-tissue growth and reduces stress. Safe for weanlings, yearlings and older horses in every breed. Excellent for preparing babies for sale. Helpful for problem broodmares and stallions.

(Available from Jeffers Equine)

Last edited by a moderator:
He is eating his grain...takes a long while because he stops and paces and watches between bites.

That is why I thought the Valium or something to calm him down would work....I do have another stall to put him in that is really quiet and dark. (Don`t like to use it in the summertime)

I will try that and am headed out to the feed store today...going to see what is on their shelves and think I will try adding some of the Senior feed for awhile and maybe the minerals...and beet pulp. Used to feed that in the winter for extra moisture...but see that several of you are using it year round.

I really learn a lot from this board...and all these suggestions...I have been printing them out...Thanks!!!
default_wub.png
:

Quietex WILL calm him down and stop most of the pacing. We have two of our stallions on it for that very reason. Oats are "hot" feed and will increase his energy..... Try the Quietex.

Lyn

Latest posts

Back