Stallion ignoring mare...?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleDstables

Reaction score
My stallion is ignoring my mare that was in heat a few days ago. She would be standing in front of him all day, and he wouldn't even sniff her!

When I would take him out of him pen to work him for a little bit, then put him back he would squeal the slightest bit, then calm right back down again...

Was it a false heat? Is she not ready to breed, and he can tell but I can't? I'm sure he knows best, but still I'm confused!

default_wacko.png

Smart savvy stallions know when a mare is ovulating and will not breed them unless they are. I had a stallion like that and I adored him for it. Made breeding so much easier. I would think you either missed the window of ovulation or she had a false heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also some stallions will not show any attention to a mare in heat if she has an infection. Just something more to think about.

Stallions also have a preference in mares.....I have a mare out with my stallion currently that he just does not seem to like. He did breed her for a couple of days, I hope when it counted, but the rest of the time he won't have anything to do with her and has even charged her with teeth bared just for being in his space.
default_wink.png

Jan

More often than not its the mare doing the telling, not the stallion sniffing ovulation. Chances are she's just not ready, or he's tired. My stud wouldn't breed yesterday, even with his favorite mare. Its getting to the end of the spring fever season (stallions respond to light too, but their boost only lasts until about now) and they will soon be slowing down to their normal winter speed.

I trust my stallion. He knows when the time is right.

my mare tries to kick my stallion when he tries to breed her

You have got to watch that. She can do some serious damage to him and put him out of commission.

Safer to hand breed if that is the case.

Thanks guys, I'll take all of this into consideration. She's never been his favorite out of his two mares, he really doesn't like her from what I can tell. He covered my other mare instantly when she came in heat, and ignored this mare...
default_wacko.png

I agree- stallions can sense when something is not right, and mine have never failed me in that respect. They know/sense much more than I can and do in regards to the mares. And yes, they do have favorites.

We had a full sized mare many many years ago, that cycled regularly, had her vet checked, as she would not settle. He covered her the whole first breeding season- could not get her pregnant. He was never horribly enthusiastic about her, but would breed her. Did a bunch of tests etc.. the second year- we practically had to bribe him to breed her. The third year, when he came to the breeding area, and saw what mare was standing there, he would have nothing to do with her and tried to go back to his pasture!! She had a problem that even a vet could not detect, but he knew, and just finally gave it up as I guess he felt it was wasting his time, though she showed she was in full blown heat.

Your mare was in a few days ago? Perhaps she cycled and is now out? Is she showing signs of being in but he will not breed her? If so, I would have the vet check her out to see if she is ovulating, or if there might be a low grade infection or something...?

Most of the time I've had this problem its because the stallion tried his moves too early for the mare, and she told him NO. If she said it hard enough he'll remember and ignore her next time too, until she really convinces him its safe and that she wants him to breed.

Well, that could be the case... she may have cycled and is now out, but there are no signs of him breeding her.

Some people came out to look at them to purchase, and When I put Diva back out to pasture, he was acting studdy and actually was about to mount her. But, she didn't show signs of being in heat... She didn't even lift her tail, she kept shifting her butt away from him.

So, I now have him seperated from the mares. I decided that I don't want her bred, so incase she doesn't sell I can show her. But, if she is bred, I will also be extremely happy! I got her head and necked, so I will be providing pictures of her in a few days here. She's just beautiful.
default_wub.png

Thanks so much for all of the help and advice!

I'm still confused though, can she show signs of being in heat for this long then?

Latest posts

Back