Stallion Breeding Age?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeOkie

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before, but I can't find it. What are the rules concerning age to breed stallions. Do they have to be 3 before a baby is born, or just taken permanent before the foal can be registered?

Thanks, Rita

Last I knew, All stallions ,either A or R registered, must be three before a foal hits the ground. In addition to that, the R registry requires you to have the stallion registered as permanent before any faol can be registered (ex. foal is born, stallion is 3, no papers will be released on foal until stallion is brought to permanent status). The A registry requires also requires the stallion to be three before any foals hit the ground, and both sire and dam must be DNA'd to register the baby (unless the sire and dam were foaled before a certain year, before DNA requirements were made. I beleive that year is somewhere in the mid 80's , not sure, my oldest one is 12 and he is DNA'd)

Hope this helps you out.

Carolyn

P.S.

a stallion report must also be sent in before a foal can be registered, and all foal paperwork must have a stud certificate sent along with the application for registry.

I believe they changed the rule where the stallion had to be brought pernament BEFORE the foal is registered. Too many loopholes in this rule and everyone had mixed feelings on it. Now the stallion does have to be 3, so you can't breed a stallion any younger then 2.

SECTION X

AMERICAN MINIATURE HORSE REGISTRY

Part 3 - Registration

A.

4. AMHR horses for which an application for

registration has been submitted to the AMHR

National Office, will be registered only if the sire

and dam have been updated from temporary to

permanent status

B. No miniature foal may be registered out of a mare

unless the dam has reached her third birthday

(birthday as of January 1)

The stallion cannot go permanent til it reaches 3, so if foals are born in February and the stallion was born in June.......

The stallion cannot go permanent til it reaches 3, so if foals are born in February and the stallion was born in June.......

This is taken directly from the 2007 Supplement to the 2005 Rule Book

Section X- Part 3, Page 235, B

No miniature foal may be registered out of a sire or dam unless BOTH have reached their third bitheday (birthday as of January 1) during the foaling year.

A new item that may affect some breeder is following

Section X-Part 3, Page 235, A4

AMHR horses for which an application for registration has been submitted to the AMHR National Office, will be registered ONLY if the sire and dam do not have expired registration certificates.

Thanks for your answers. Just so I'm absolutely clear what the rules say, in the above example, the stallion was considered a 3 y.o. as of Jan. l. The baby was born in Feb, so can be registered, but only after the stallion can be taken permanent in June.

Is this correct?

Rita

Yep Rita,

that is the way I have always understood the 'new' rule..........any stallion is considered 3 as of Jan,1 (just like our 04 show mare who might have even been born in Sept, shows as a Sr. mare after Jan 1, 07) so you can use a two year old stallion, for a season as long as the foals are born after Jan, 1 of the following year. But the foals registration papers can not be processed until the stallion is an "actual" three, and sent in for permanent papers.

Thank you, Erica and Ashley. That is good news! I was sweating it, as I had a foal born 5 days before his daddy's 3rd actual birthday! :eek:

Rita

They did have a rule where the stallion had to be brought pernament before any foal can be registered. No one liked this rule cause it had so many loop holes with it.

Like Davie said what I was trying to say only she worded it better, where they changed it to both mare and stallion can have foals registered as long as the papers aren't expired.

For example, if the stallion was born in Feb. and turned 3 the same year he had its first foal on the ground you can still register that foal without having to make the stallion pernament. Now unless you don't make the stallion pernament and he has foals the following year you can't do it until he is brought pernament. AMHR papers expire Dec. 31st of the year that horse turns 3.

Maybe Karen S can clear this up, cause I swear they changed that rule unless I read it wrong.

But the stallion does have to be 3 as of Jan. 1st before he can have any foals on the ground.

Last I knew, All stallions ,either A or R registered, must be three before a foal hits the ground.
I am sorry, but that is incorrect and has never been the case with AMHA. There is no age requirement with AMHA, only DNA testing of parents born after 1995.

Latest posts

Back