Stallion acting studdy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
I showed this colt as a yrling and a two year old. And did not have problems. But his third yr and a breeding time. I would like to take him to the fair next month.And hints or tricks would be helpfull On me getting him on the right track again. As he isn`t being to good of a boy these days.

Good Luck! I have one of them. I am seriously considering gelding him. I dont have a stall/fence or anything that holds him in.

I almost ran over him the other night after he broke out of his stall, busted a tie on the second security gate, and then craweld under it to get out. he came running up out of the ditch when I was comeing down the road.

If you want to show him, I would suggest working him with a stud chain. That way he knows you mean business at a show when you snap on that chain. Good luck! I geld mine!
default_biggrin.png

Put some vaseline on his nose. It will keep him from smelling any mares in heat.

You may also want to start a breeding thing with him. We have a breeding halter, the only time our stallions breeds is when they wears it.

Now that he is starting to act like a stallion, start to treat him like it.

My stallion is actually really good in hand. I could take him to a show and he would be fine. My 10 year old does alot with him. Its just off the lead he is a nut case.

I do not normally use stud chains, my advice is vicks his nose (put vicks inside his nostrols and around), it blocks out the mare smell
default_smile.png

Considering its a fair and there are going to be children and many people around, its going to be important he behaves himself. What i would do, if he takes one look at those mares and gets a little huff in him, i would yank that lead and snap him back into reality. Everytime he looks at that mare and gets huffy, yank that lead, he will wake up real fast and come back to his senses. Only do this when he gets huffy. He will connect it that if he acts studdy that you are going to yank that lead, but as long as he is good and behaves, you are happy ..he is happy, there is peace
default_smile.png

Breeding him would help....he is a three year old and he knows what he is about, that is natural.

All my Stallions, big and small, have always understood that the first time I stop and breed them to a mare in the ring is the time they can start acting up about it!!

Since this is NEVER going to happen they behave.

It is just down to basic training and respect.

If you are not going to breed him, or do not have enough mares to keep him happy, geld him, simple as that.

Respect , though, that starts at home and needs to be taught, should already have been taught if this horse is now a three year old.

If you cannot do this then send him to someone who can and think long and hard about keeping entires!!

At home, a stud chain and firm hand on him. I am much tougher on my stallions then the mares or geldings for good reasons. They'll hurt you. Some will do it intentionally, others are just too wrapped up in their hormones. I start with the chain under the chin(he should be used to this if you've been showing him). If that doesn't get their attention, I'll put it over their nose wrapped a couple times around the nose band of the halter. If that still doesn't work, then I'll run the chain through their mouth like a bit. I have yet to find a stallion that doesn't respond to that. Of course, the severity of the chain is directly related to you and how much pressure you apply to it. On my bigger stallions, I'll use a chain and sometimes a riding crop at home if they're really bad.

At the show, vicks in the nose will block out any smells of mares in heat.

Never give a stallion an inch or he'll take the mile.

And I'll 2nd and 3rd the statement that if you're not using him as a stud, he(and you) will be much happier as a gelding.

I don't have as much experience as these others with stallions, but I have learned that if ANY horse doesn't behave at hime, it is pretty likely that taking him to a show will only make things worse. So I try to simulate horse shows at home as much as possible.

What I do with our basically well-behaved young stallion, is first of all have a special place, halter, and routine for breeding. Last year during breeding season, on the days he wasn't breeding, I would take him to ANOTHER place, in his show halter halter and practice for shows. I would have someone else set up and lead the mare in heat (not real close, but as might be encountered in the ring) and he was to ignore her. He may be young and hormonal, but he seemed to get the message.

Latest posts

Back