Stall Sizes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Fantasy

Reaction score
We are starting to clear some land for the Mini barn and really wasn't sure what a good Stall size would be for these little guys. I have seen several posts on barn plans and have gotten some great ideas!!

We are believers of the free run set up (letting them come and go as they wish), But during the Winter months we do sometimes get lots of ice and severe cold (so they would need to stay in) and I also like to grain them seperate.

Since you are starting from scratch....you might consider how both wood and metal panels are cut. They often come in 12 foot lengths. So designing stalls in 12 by 12's may be the most cost effective. And run-outs can be measured the same way -- maybe 12 by 24 feet or ???

We built a barn from scratch 15 years ago and discovered the 12 foot thing when ordering our wood and metal. So we designed our stalls and run-out paddocks accordingly to help save money. It turned out that the horses were all happier with that extra bit of space and we could double up some horses in areas when they got along.

MA

Financially, 12 by 12s will work very well, particularly if you ever resell.

One option is to do 12 by 12 stalls and see if the builder can work a 6 by 12 design that lends itself to opening to a 12 by 12 easily.

Just a thought.

saludando.gif

Tommy

I set up my ranch for the big guys and have 12x12 stalls with a 12x16 foaling stall. I like the size if they are stalled but if I were to do it again for the little uns I would leave it open and use chainlink panels to move around to whatever size I wanted. The flexibility would be a definate plus in my book.

I guess it would depend how many stalls you want and how much you have to spend to build a barn to accomadate the amount of stalls. Ive seen stalls 6x6 6x8 10x10 12x12 a full size horse aquires at least a 10x10 preferable 12x12. Not much help though huh? Mini is less then 1/2 the size of a full size horse you I would say you could get by on pretty much any of these. My stalls are made out of sheep panels so I could change the size or remove them in case we were to sell.

Latest posts

Back