stall size

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis3

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting another mini. Currently I have one of mine in a 8 by 8 stall. I thought I might split the stall in half to make room for another mini but I'm concerned that a 4 by 8 stall would be too small. What do you think? Also I really need to be talked out of getting another mini. So many reasons not to and only one good reason to and that is I WANT ANOTHER ONE!

Splitting a 8 X 8 stall is out of the question.

If anything you 'd need to build another 8 X 8

Since you already know that you have enough reasons not to buy another horse, then don't.

Your proposed stall would be [red] waaaaaaayyyyy [/red] too small. We've made our stalls in different sizes, 10x12, 6x8, and one 12x12. It's not hard to build another stall.........they feel more comfortable and don't have to fight over food when they're in their own stall. Horses are herd animals and need companionship............by all means get another one if you want one!

Thank you Loess Hills for your kind reply. I did think a 4 by 8 was too small. And since I first posted this question, I have decided not to purchase another horse at this time. The more horses I get the less time I will have to spend with each one.

what does everyone think of a 6 x 6 with the option of going out 24/7....the only time my mini would be locked in is extremely bad weather?

Champ

I think it is best for them to be out as much as possible, and like the idea of the stall being sort of a run in shed for them (this is what I do a lot of the time for my horses). But, given the size and how some horses can be, I can see that one horse would probably monopolize the shelter and not let the other inside. I have one that used to try and do that with an 18x21 shelter!

My stalls here are 12x8, which seem to be plenty big for the minis. I do have one that is 8x8, and that also is workable for one horse.

I was actually going to have (2) 6 x 6 stalls with each having there own corall so they could only go in and out of there own stalls only.....I have a 10 year old gelding who doesn't "play well" with others... :bgrin

LOL i find it humorous how this board thinks that mini's should be in no less than an 8X8 stall.... now do you all think it's terrible for BIG horse to be in a 10X10?? proportionately speaking mini's should be able to do far smaller stall than 8X8 comfortably (a mini is about 1/4th of the size of a big horse).... So a 10X10 for a big horse should theoretically be too small..but 99% of all the big horses i know all over the country only have 10X10 or 12X12..... sorry but i DON'T think that a 4X8 stall is too small..infact i have 4X6 stalls for my mini's.. i probably wouldn't want them that small if they lived their life in a stall...but if they are only in occationally or just nights..NO BIGGIE..never had aproblem so far.. Mine are out 24/7 and when they can't be out that much they are in no more than overnight.... a friend of mine has 6X12 stalls and they are pretty darned big for one mini.

I also wouldn't consider anything too small for a foaling stall even for a mini.. but nothing smaller than an 8X8??? almost every big horse i know would be considered to be in too small of a stall if your reasoning is correct.

LOL i find it humorous how this board thinks that mini's should be in no less than an 8X8 stall.... now do you all think it's terrible for BIG horse to be in a 10X10?? proportionately speaking mini's should be able to do far smaller stall than 8X8 comfortably (a mini is about 1/4th of the size of a big horse).... So a 10X10 for a big horse should theoretically be too small..but 99% of all the big horses i know all over the country only have 10X10 or 12X12..... sorry but i DON'T think that a 4X8 stall is too small..infact i have 4X6 stalls for my mini's.. i probably wouldn't want them that small if they lived their life in a stall...but if they are only in occationally or just nights..NO BIGGIE..never had aproblem so far.. Mine are out 24/7 and when they can't be out that much they are in no more than overnight.... a friend of mine has 6X12 stalls and they are pretty darned big for one mini.

I also wouldn't consider anything too small for a foaling stall even for a mini.. but nothing smaller than an 8X8??? almost every big horse i know would be considered to be in too small of a stall if your reasoning is correct.
Makes sense to me.

My mini stalls are 6x8 in the "big" mini barn (it's 5 stalls) and my stallion's run-in is 8x12' (which he only has access to half at the moment, as the other half has hay stored in it). My "big" mini barn isn't complete,yet, but I plan to make the stall dividers removable, so if I foal out a mare, I can remove the partition and have a double stall.

so basically yours are just foaling stalls..to me they DO need more room for foaling stalls.. but i think it's just ludicrous to say that a mini cannot survivei n anything less than an 8X8 when most BIG horses have 10X10..lol proportionately speaking something is way off base if you look at it that way..LOL

The rule of thumb (even for BIG horses) is that all sides of the stall should be 1.5 times the length of the horse. Given those "rules" most minis would do fine in a 6x6. Measure your mini and do the math to see what size is appropriate.

Where does this so-called 'rule of thumb' originate? I've certainly never heard of this, in 70 years of horse-keeping. I would consider 6' x 6' totally inadequate; don't like even 8'x 8', which I know many use, unless there is absolutely no other choice and the horse will never be confined there for over one day or night at a time. If building from scratch, build big enough for full-sized horses, for saleability, if no other reason...but also for the well-being of your miniatures. 12' x 12' is generally considered the minimum for horses.

Latest posts

Back