Stall Matts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens

Reaction score
We are in the process of building a little barn for our 2 mini's so we can bring them home and don't have to board them. I've never had to buy stall matts before and have come accross several brands. What brand does everyone reccommend?

To be honest, I don't think we've looked at brands.....All of our mats are 3/4 inch thick. And they've been a godsend in the two barns we've owned.

I just bought the 3/4" ones that our local mill carries...not sure what brand. I agree that these mats have made my work so much easier. I only have them in one stall (12x12 divided) but hope to have the $$ to pick up 4 more for the other stall (10x12 also divided).

I think the ones we have are Humane Brand or something like that, they are great mats with rough on one side that keeps them from moving so much, they are the 3/4" thick and 4x6'. They are supposed to be better about not absorbing the urine like other mats can to keep the barn smelling fresher.

Love my stall mats. I have also always gotten the 3/4" mats that are 4x6. I really don't care for the smaller 4x4 squares TSC starting carrying, unless your gonna use them to finish off a 12x12 stall.

Never noticed the brand but I must say I highly prefer them on a thick stone base rather than concrete, keeps the odor down much better, urine drains into the stones, less saturated bedding.

When we were getting mats for our barns, we found a place which makes all sorts of things for 18 wheelers. We got rubber matting there cheaper than in stores. Mats are very strong and sturdy and non slip.They have all grades and sizes and will cut them for you. Caple-Shaw Industries is in Fort Worth.

Perhaps you can find a place in your area which supplies rubber mats for the trucking industry. We found it to be more economical.

All I have to say is don't get the lightweight kind. When we were building our barn we thought that it would be a great idea because they are easy to install and still heavy duty. But they are also light enough for the horses to move! I discarded them after three years and now can't afford different ones.

Stall mats...ahhh..Im the queen of stall mats. I never look at brand so I wouldnt know I just get them at TS ..3/4 4x6. Also look on craigslist..through the years.I bet Ive bought at least 75 for like 10 to 30$. 3 here 6 there they are usually in great shape. My next barn I would design everything to fit a simple stall mat...because they are a huge pain to cut. Good luck in designing your new barn and remember we lve pictures!!

Thanks everyone! We have a TS here, so I'll will most likely get them there. The stalls are 11'x 8 1/2' so we'll have to cut some. How do you cut them? With a utility knife??

We never had any problems with our barn..until the minis. The pawing got on my nerves..and it appeared they were trying to dig their way out to the pasture. It now explains what I was seeing at their former home, lol..

My husband was going out of town, and I had to do something, so I had some truck mat cut at TS in town., Just to see if the idea would work. They pawed away with abandon, just sliding them a bit now and then. Once they figured them out (2 weeks) they began rolling them up, and all but putting the rolled mats in the corner the better to dig.

I now have the heavy mats from TS, and will have husband cut them in half this afternoon, All I really need to cover is the door area, they leave everything else alone. mostly. He plans on using a heavy duty utility knife..hope it works!

In current Farmtek catalogs, the ones I have are described as 'Comfy Mats'. I will always appreciate the friend who shared with me info on a sale they were having, several years back...I got my 1/2", 4'X6' mats, top w/ 'embossing' similar to the pattern of those truck tool boxes, bottom w/ 'ridges', for $29 ea, and NO SHIPPING CHARGE(a HUGE saving,even back then!)One of the best purchases I ever made!They are nylon-reinforced, and plenty heavy-duty, certainly for miniature horses(I can drag one using my vise grips, but the horses have never moved one. I use them both inside and outside, under their feeders.Inside the stalls, which are just the native clay soil, but raked to level, I left one mat space 'open', putting shavings there, and it works well for them to use THAT area as the bathroom.

Do be sure that whatever you get has a 'texture'. A friend of mine got a bunch of 'used' conveyor belting and covered every INCH of her small pens, in addition to her stalls with it. Good to do on sandy ground, BUT...the stuff is slick as snot, foals can hardly stand up on it, even adult horses have to 'tiptoe' around on it. Because it is very hard to level well, urine puddles on it, making it even slicker, and stinking.

(Great point from Little Ribbie; build stalls to 'match' common mat dimensions; they ARE a pain to cut!!)

Margo

Okay, that is a very good point about the texture. I will look for ones with texture! Thanks for all your help!

I recently started matting all of my stalls. We have drainage issue's here, and sometimes our stalls can get yucky. So i've slowly over time started matting all our stalls, now just got a couple left to do. I've been getting mine at TSC, the larger 3/4th thick ones, and I only put 1 in the center of each stall. I'm not fully matting the entire stall, just the center. It seems to work out well. Its so much nicer..........

I matted all my stalls with 3/4 thick 4x6. They are a pain to cut I used a skill saw and it worked great. Be sure you have a solid base when you put them down. I used stone dust with a wacker and water. It's a but of work buy you will have drainage and level stalls. I did my grooming area and alley ways with the stone dust and thiner mats. They have been in for 10 years and are still great. Good luck these mats are very heavy.

It's a bit of an expense and hard work but it's worth it in the end.

Leeana, I checked out your website and your horses are beautiful!!! LA Miniatures, my husband thought he'd try the skill saw too, so I'm glad to hear it works well. Ours are going down over concrete. We plan on putting them in on Saturday.

I matted all my stalls with 3/4 thick 4x6. They are a pain to cut I used a skill saw and it worked great. Be sure you have a solid base when you put them down. I used stone dust with a wacker and water. It's a but of work buy you will have drainage and level stalls. I did my grooming area and alley ways with the stone dust and thiner mats. They have been in for 10 years and are still great. Good luck these mats are very heavy.

It's a bit of an expense and hard work but it's worth it in the end.
I used a chainsaw to cut my last batch, LOL, worked even quicker than a skill saw, if you place a four by four on either side of where a cut needs to go to elevate the mat, you can zip right down the middle. Worked freakishly well.

There is a way cheaper way to buy them and you get to trim them in the exact size you want.

My son was a H.S. pole vaulter and had his own PV pit at home. He had a 100 foot long raised runway that we wanted to get stall mats for but I was worried about him tripping where they joined. So, I went to the local feed store and had them contact the stall mat supplier. They get the mats made in 4' x 25' x 3/4" thick rolls and were more than happy to sell us uncut rolls for $75 each delivered. When he left for college last summer I stole his mats (grin) and used them for my barn. I have a 4 foot by 50 foot walkway made with just two mats and easily cut the others to fit my stalls at the exact length needed. I thought that was a good buy when the precut 4' x 6' ones were selling for close to $50 each.

Latest posts

Back