stall mat question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have ever used those kids interlocking "play mats" for a stall mat? Supposedly, they are waterproof and pretty durable. 3/4 inch thick. I hate those huge heavy mats and it may just be for temporary use. I would then use shavings on top of them like the regular rubber mats.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

- Suz

I used them in the grooming area and they aren't the best.

There are some stall mats that aren't as heavy and stiff. More of a strong sponge rubber. (We are in Canada)

Last edited by a moderator:
They will just come apart and get moved around by your horses. If you could find one big matt made of the same material it would prob be great. But I just don't think they hold together well enough to stand up under hooves. But... if you have some just lying around not being used I guess there wouldn't be much harm in trying it...

You can buy proper interlocking stall mats. I tried these little ones at a show and they lasted about 25 minutes. My mare had a GREAT TIME hauling them around. Sigh...LOL!

Others are right, the children's interlocking block pads probably wouldn't last long. I wish there were mats for minis. Minis don't need the thick, heavy ones like big horses. They are so difficult to move. For my grooming area, I have a truck rubber bed liner, works great. Saw it at a yard sale for $10
default_yes.gif

I have the expensive Step2 interlocking playmats for my human twins and they've barely held up to THEM
default_smile.png

For horses, the heavy black rubber mats are the way to go and actually cheaper in the long run...

I know someone that used old conveyer belts, mostly for the walls , but it worked just fine. i once dragged 25 heavy stall mats up a hill to a stall, I thought I was going to have a heartattack , took me all day . I did find a lighter mat , but its more of a plastic rubber , a bit hard , and slippery, but at least I can pick it up , I just cover it will shavings.

Yep those kid mats are great for temp use in like a grooming stall for shows but horses can easily pull them up if used for a stall. The bigger mats might be the cheapest route to go. But if your looking to cover up a 10X10 stall and want lighter mats look into the Mighty Lite Portable Interlocking Mats. They say these are 1/4 of the weight of the bigger mats.

http://www.buytack.com/products-ranch/sfp/mightylite-kits.htm

Or you can get one mat that's 3'X4' and weighs only 12 lb. It's $45 on this site:

http://www.buytack.com/products-ranch/sfp/mightylite.htm

Or this site is a lil cheaper and the more you buy the cheaper it gets but their mats are 19 lbs.

http://www.sstack.com/Stable_Barn-Supplies_Stall-Supplies/Super-Lite-TrailerGrooming-Mat/

I bought several of these bigger puzzle mats this year at Nationals and it worked great, but I did have one that did pull one up. I also used 2 per 10X10 stall.

Here is what I've used. Love them. I can move them around easily and they last and last. They have a 10 x 10 option for $385. I bought mine on 3.24.05 and they were only $275 then. I guess inflation has hit.

EDITED TO SAY: the pictures didn't copy, sorry. Go to Flex Mats, Inc and you can see all of what they have to offer.

Light-Weight Portable Mats

3' x 4' LiteWeight Interlocking Polymer Mats

SML34

$47.95

Horses%20on%20mats%202.jpg

They interlock!

Estimated Shipping: $12.60 per mat

Size: 3' x 4' polymer mats Pebble top pattern on top and bottom Color: Black, brick red, or green

Weight: 12 lbs.

Thickness: 7/8"

THREE MAT MINIMUM PER SHIPMENT

3 mats = 4' x 9' or 3' x 12'

6 mats = 6' x 12' or 9' x 8'

9 mats = 9' x 12'

12 mats =12' x 12' or 9' x 16'

15 mats =12' x 15'

18 mats =12' x 18'

etc...

CALL TOLL FREE 800-506-0262 TO ORDER

Truck bed liner..there are a couple of thicknesses available, I chose the thickest. Cut to size you want, within bed sizes. I do find really heavy stall mats better in stalls, but for a couple of places where they paw, or that get wet/muddy, the bed liners are a good choice for us.

Yes, the flex mats are the ones I was talking about. I think I will get some of them for the horse shows.

I get rolled up mats at Tractor Supply that are about 1/4" thick and come in various sizes. Yes, some of the minis will pull them up and you don't save a lot of money, but they are easy to move. In addition to stall mats, we use them as feeding spots in our turnout area, truck bed liner, outdoor "wash stall", and will be taking 2 to a horse show Sunday to keep the horses off any grass.

I see that TRS also advertised 1/2" think stall mats recently and I would like to try those.

I just purchased 8 of the heavy duty stall mats and put them throughout my new barn. Wow those suckers were really heavy, my husband did most of the dragging them in but I did my best at the other end!!! I have crushed blue stone for flooring so the mats will make it easier to keep the barn clean.

lol..I know why the mats are on the sidewalk at TSC..can't move them! Heavy, yes..we notched them to cover the stall entries. I think my husband eventually used a sawsall.

lol..I know why the mats are on the sidewalk at TSC..can't move them! Heavy, yes..we notched them to cover the stall entries. I think my husband eventually used a sawsall.
I have two from TSC in my barn aisle, and you aren't kidding, boy are they heavy. I love mine, and would love more; will probably get a few more as budget allows.

My stall mats are one of the best investments I ever made! A friend tipped me to a deal from Farmtek some years back; 4'x 6', 3/4" mats on sale for $29.95 ea. and FREE SHIPPING! I dipped into savings to buy 24 of them, because I KNEW I'd find a better deal.They have a textured surface, just enough to provide good footing.

They ARE heavy, but I can drag one at a time w/ vise grips. I have them both inside(leaving one mat-sized area ummatted and w/ shavings down, for a 'potty' area in each stall), and outside,where they are fed. Sweep them off AM and PM outside.

I would NOT recommend conveyor belting. I have seen it in use; it is slick as snot, ESP. if wet; minis slip and slide on them...NOT good for their joints/tendons/ligaments....ESP. those of foals/young stock.

Margo

I got mine from TSC too and they were on the sidewalk!! My daughter and I went to get them so 2 guys struggled to load them in the truck. We had to cut 2 and my husband used an electric saw, they are so thick and tough!! Well I guess they should be very durable and last a long time!!!!!! LOL

If anyone is near Columbus OH during their Quarter Horse Congress (now through I think the end of October) during the trade show dates Cashman's has the "seconds" stall mats (regular heavy mats just has a nick out or not cut perfect) for $24.99.

Thanks for everyone's replies! I guess those little tykes mats are out and i'll just bite the bullet and get those super heavy ones at tractor supply and get hubby to help me. the lighter ones are great, but i don't want to pay for the shipping and can't find any place offering free shipping now.

Latest posts

Back