stakes classes..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boinky

Reaction score
Ok I've been looking at several premiums for show's this year and have noticed several shows have "stake" classes that have an increased fee from their regular class fee. I don't recall ever paying more than a regular class fee for a stake class in the past, unless it's a payback class,.. is this something new or am i just forgetting??

It is kind of a peeve for me to see this because WHY is a stake class anymore expensive?? when push comes to shove it's just another class. I could see if it was a PAYOUT class (like at nationals ect). In many ways it peeves me that they even make you PAY for a stake class. it's just a championship class and as such should theoretically be a class that you have to "qualify" for in a prelim class and the top X amount of horses (say top two from each category) go on to the championship class and should be free like in a halter championship. I CAN see it from another perspective in that it does draw in more money for the club(s) by offering the class to anyone to enter and it does offer people like me more classes to get my horse(s) into for experience..... so i can sort of relate to it there.... but WHY the increase in the stake class from any other class??

You posted some very good points. I don't think you should have to pay more either unless like you said it was a payback class.

But I like your idea! It is a class you have to qualify for and is a "championship" class, so why do we even have to pay for it? You don't have to for the halter classes...HMMMM interesting, never thought of it that way but I like your thinking!

lol on the other hand i guess i should be careful with what i'm wishing for because like at nationals i certainly didn't qualify for stakes class but i went on to get top tens in the stakes classes after not placing in the prelim classes. BUT i guess what i'm most getting at..is why are these show's charging us more for the class......

I've driven in plenty of stakes classes (AMHR) and the majority of them there wasn't a payback.

Added:

From the 2008 ASPC/AMHR Rule Book (254)

H. Stake classes will be known as CHampionship classes. 1st place will be Champion and 2nd place will be Reserve Champion. The Stake classes will be placed thru 5th place. A horse must have entered, been shown and been judged in a qualifying class in order to participate in the corresponding stake class. Example: To show in the Roadster Stake the horse must show in another roadster class, and cannot qualify by showing in a pleasure class.

No mention of paybacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never gotten pay back in any stakes class that wasn't listed as "pay back class". Coming from a big horse world a "stakes" class always meant there was money involved. It completely confused me when i first started showing. HOWEVER on that note.. I still do not believe we should have to pay more for a stake class if it's not a payback class..period.

Hmmm... every stakes class I've ever been in, including AMHR Nationals I got a check in the mail afterwards, not during the class. If you don't get money back they shouldn't be called a "stakes" class, because there is nothing at "stake".

Stake- a. something that is staked for gain or loss b. the prize in a contest

Nope, never any payback at any of the shows I have gone to in the last 4 years. Except for a Jackpot class I entered.

Looks to me like you are lucky in your area to have a chance to get payback...but that is not the norm for our area.

well i absolutely agree with you there.. however.. seems to be the case with many R show's that i've experienced!

Generally there weren't any paybacks at the Michigan / Ohio shows I showed at unless the show specifically said that class had a payback.

I agree with your definition of the word stake Ashley. Perhaps the word stake should be replaced with championship since nothing financially is at stake. Or perhaps they are using the word stake to refer to the championship being at stake. hrmm.....

I'm starting to feel like I've gotten jipped at all these show's !! lol i wanna show where you show and have paybacks!! You'd think Area I show's in NY would have payback classes..their "A" country driving classes are usually friggen HUGE.....

all of the AMHR shows have stake classes because that is the way they are named in the AMHR rule book--the required classes are listed as stakes, not championships...

Our local show does not give paybacks for the stake classes, but at the same time the stake classes do not have a higher entry fee--all fees are the same, be it regular or stake classes--which is as it should be if there is no payouts on the stakes.

Coming from the big horse world, I agree that if a class is going to be called a stake then it should have some money being paid back to the winners. If there is no money then it should be called a championship. As it is though, the AMHR rules don't provide for that.

The stakes classes at the Hoosier Spring Fling are all payback. We have that listed on our show premium. Not sure about other shows, but ours will be payback. We didn't last year, only because it was our first show and was hoping to just pay for the show itself. This year, all entry $ into the stakes class will go to paybacks for the stakes classes.

Also, I did leave out the Western CP stakes class. (Not on purpose.) We didn't have it last year either and no one mentioned it. I wish someone would have mentioned it earlier. Thanks Boinky for bringing it to my attention. I'm checking into adding it. Since there are so many copies of the class list out there, I hate to add another version into the mix. But it will be on the class list for next year for sure.

I have won money in some stake classes and then others nothing. I do believe the ones that paid money back stated it on the show bill. I think its a nice added prize to have money paid back to exhibitors as a stakes win is a great accomplishment for you and your horse!

I think it just depends on the show, but I think they should all have paybacks for stakes and it would draw more entries as well! Laura

I agree laura.. I'd much rather enter a class that has a payback..even if i have to pay more for it. I could see if i didn't have a competitive horse i might hesitate but most of mine i feel it's well worth entering and i'm sure many other people as well. I would certainly draw in more if there were paybacks!! Heck i'd pay more even if they were regular prelim classes that had paybacks.

Lori,

actually that show was one i was talking about having higher stake fee because I didn't see anyplace on the web site that it was a payback.. however if that's the case then i see it completely different. don't mind paying more for payback classes! awesome that you guys are offering that!

Usually the stakes classes only pay out 1st and 2nd place, and then ribbons to the rest. I don't think al lthe shows that I got money back stated it was a oay back, but the fee for the stakes class were separate, and usually more. I usually show Oh, IN, KY, but I've been to the July show in NC and know I got money back from their stakes classes too.

Versatility Farm & Training said:
A Stakes class is a pay back class, that's what the "stake" is. You pay money in, to hopefully win more money back. You don't have to qualify for them, jut pay to enter.
Here in the NW our AMHR stake classes are higher entry fee, no payback that I'm aware of (and I did win a Championship and a Reserve last year), and the only qualification is to have entered another class in that division. I have to admit I think it's sort of silly- either make it an "anybody can enter" payback class where the higher entry fee goes towards the cash jackpot, or make it like a halter championship where you have to earn a place in the class but are not charged for the chance to be crowned Champion. It boggles my mind that horses who do nothing in the regular classes are suddenly winners in the "best of the best" class. It's like "huh?!"
default_wacko.png

I think the higher entry fee though is to cover the larger championship ribbons usually offered. Sometimes you get a trophy or neck sash too if the show organizer is into performance horses.

Leia

Latest posts

Back