Spring grazing advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same issue. Tried a Tough 1 Easy Breathe muzzle and it was too long. Any recommendations on muzzles?
No luck so far. That one was too long for mine, too. If push comes to shove, I may have a seamstress sew it up a little on each side.
I discussed grazing and my mini extensively with my vet. She studied the “grass” in the pasture and said it was mostly weed and therefore should be okay. I’m to keep it mowed short. It’s seems to be working so far. She’s getting to graze and feel like she’s eating but there seriously must not be any calories in that pasture because she has yet to gain any weight. I’m holding my breath. Let us know if you find a suitable muzzle!

I was able to adjust the muzzle and try it again this morning. He learned how to eat through it. He wasn't thrilled though.

I got mine on-line at Just For Ponies. I think it is a Tough 1 but they seem to cater to just smaller equines.

My boys HATE the grazing muzzle. But oh-well, too-bad :) They get used to it after a few days...

I'm pretty sure I bought Touch1 brand a couple years ago when I bought them. I had to use the last holes for all the straps, but in the end got it to fit correctly.

Our problem is that with the very young short grass, they can eat just as much with the muzzle on than without :-(

Longer grass slows them down though...

My boys HATE the grazing muzzle. But oh-well, too-bad :) They get used to it after a few days...

I'm pretty sure I bought Touch1 brand a couple years ago when I bought them. I had to use the last holes for all the straps, but in the end got it to fit correctly.

Our problem is that with the very young short grass, they can eat just as much with the muzzle on than without :-(

Longer grass slows them down though...
I didn’t think of that. I assumed the longer grass would be easier to eat. I see how the shorter grass would be easier now that I think about it. This is my first mini so I’m still learning - there is a lot to learn about minis!

I've been fortunate to only have one mini that needed a grazing muzzle. I've bought two, and the one that fits and stays one for my guy is the Tough-1 Easy Breathe V grazing muzzle. It's adjusted as small as it gets, but works. My guy is about 34" at the top of withers and has a small head, but he does have a wider jaw and thicker neck. I think it's the V part that helps it stay on. I did have to vet wrap the adjustment ring because it was right behind his ear.
If you can sew at all, you could shorten the straps on the one you have.
I took my horses to the vet yesterday for dental appointment. Midnight weighed in at 273 on his scale. I guess I will have to resign myself to the idea that she needs a grazing muzzle. Her head and muzzle are so tiny, I am concerned about finding one to fit her. I think I will try this one.

I hope it will work for you and Midnight. DJ wears his almost all year round. He is an eating machine. I'm afraid his daughter is going to be the same way.

Latest posts

Back