Spring Clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you body clip in the spring?

• Yes, But Just Face, Bridle Path and Fetlocks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Standards Equine

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of spring clipping. I'd much rather the critters shed out themselves. But my dear friend has this little guy, who is such a good little egg, and he was just not shedding out this spring. He's obviously itchy and we began to notice some little "hot spots" of dermatitis or maybe a fungal infection under his woolies. He's been rubbing his hair off his neck, but no shedding. I wonder if he's not got Cushings. Certainly his weight indicates that might be the case.
So I pulled out my old gigantic, LOUD Oster body clippers and went to town on his poor little self. Willy only has 1 eye, and it was injured last fall so his vision is very limited. He was quite a trooper with the clipping though. I could not get under his belly - kudos to those of you who can! He was absolutely so much happier and more comfortable when I was finished. All our horses live outside and this little guy, because of his impairment, lives alone. I was concerned he'd get cold (this is Canada after all) so I put my brand new rain sheet on him - that I'd bought for my donkey... Little turkey is so stinking cute!!! Lucky he is.
Like I said, this guy isn't mine, he belongs to a good friend for her daughter. And while I grumbled a lot while working on this pony, taking time away from my own animals and family, I'm really glad I was able to give him the relief and care he needed.
Can it be real spring yet?? haha!

Attachments

• Willy.jpg
    Willy.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Willy 2.jpg
    Willy 2.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 11
  • Willy 3.jpg
    Willy 3.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 10
Aww, bless little Willie and you for clipping the little fella. He looks a lot like one of my guys.
I used to body clip mine and loved doing it, but now I have someone do it for me in the Spring because my hands can't take it. I did do late summer clips last year as my hands can handle that, it's just a "skim coat" then. Spring clipping is just too heavy for me.

I'm not a big fan of spring clipping. I'd much rather the critters shed out themselves. But my dear friend has this little guy, who is such a good little egg, and he was just not shedding out this spring. He's obviously itchy and we began to notice some little "hot spots" of dermatitis or maybe a fungal infection under his woolies. He's been rubbing his hair off his neck, but no shedding. I wonder if he's not got Cushings. Certainly his weight indicates that might be the case.
So I pulled out my old gigantic, LOUD Oster body clippers and went to town on his poor little self. Willy only has 1 eye, and it was injured last fall so his vision is very limited. He was quite a trooper with the clipping though. I could not get under his belly - kudos to those of you who can! He was absolutely so much happier and more comfortable when I was finished. All our horses live outside and this little guy, because of his impairment, lives alone. I was concerned he'd get cold (this is Canada after all) so I put my brand new rain sheet on him - that I'd bought for my donkey... Little turkey is so stinking cute!!! Lucky he is.
Like I said, this guy isn't mine, he belongs to a good friend for her daughter. And while I grumbled a lot while working on this pony, taking time away from my own animals and family, I'm really glad I was able to give him the relief and care he needed.
Can it be real spring yet?? haha!
He is a handsome fellow. Sorry about his eyes. The vet told me their eyes are so large they are easily damaged. I've had several eye-scares over the years.

I realize most of you are in the states. Do you all clip regularly/seasonally? I could see doing an early-winter clip - we often do for the show horses who remain in training over the winter, but usually only once. I wouldn't have clipped in the spring except this guy wasn't losing hair on his own. I wouldn't imagine the southern-residing ponies would grow more coat than our winter yaks... or is it a preference for a shorter coat overall?

I realize most of you are in the states. Do you all clip regularly/seasonally? I could see doing an early-winter clip - we often do for the show horses who remain in training over the winter, but usually only once. I wouldn't have clipped in the spring except this guy wasn't losing hair on his own. I wouldn't imagine the southern-residing ponies would grow more coat than our winter yaks... or is it a preference for a shorter coat overall?
Mine are yak-ish even here in southwest Oklahoma. I clip in the spring, and then one of mine gets another in August. He becomes a yak again in time for winter.

Minis tend to grow way more hair and retain it longer than full-size horses. To know Cushings or not; take age into consideration and then also knowing your horse, then, when all else fails test.
My minis are usually shed out by the end of May; some are almost done now, others a bit to go. If we warm up too fast for their state of shedding, then I comfort clip in the spring.

Thanks @chandab ! I realize it's a thing for donkeys to get into a shedding cycle. It seems the really young ones can hold that winter coat all the way until fall! I'm not going to clip that coat though. Even with big body clippers, I'm afraid of what that coarse coat would do to my blades!

Thanks @chandab ! I realize it's a thing for donkeys to get into a shedding cycle. It seems the really young ones can hold that winter coat all the way until fall! I'm not going to clip that coat though. Even with big body clippers, I'm afraid of what that coarse coat would do to my blades!
I'm pretty sure I've dirty clipped my mini donkey with my Oster Clipmasters, didn't have any problems.

I clip slowly. I used to do a full body clip but then the temps can be so up and down all spring that I'd have frozen minis. As long as the loins are covered they seem ok. So I start with the underside of the neck and belly, then work my way up as the temps warm. I use any chilly weather to my advantage this way late winter to get them to shed more weight.

Finally got around to clipping Rocko today.
Our Horse Expo was cancelled again this year so they had some vendors at a local feed store here and I got talked into trying a new product.
My Review:
It made detangling the mane and tail a breeze. It was also the easiest clip even with my old blades.
But... when I was all done his mane and forlock were super soft but all fly-away like they were full of static electricity. When I rubbed my hand down his freshly clipped coat it felt that way too so not sure about this product. It has been hot, dry and a little breezy here today plus this is an aerosol product which I normally don't use. The woman said; "It won't weigh down the hair and get gummy like Show Sheen." No kidding...the extreme opposite! (20220521_171103.jpgSee forelock in photo)

Attachments

• 20220521_165923.jpg
    20220521_165923.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
So I clipped Annie, how do you like the pattern? Haha
20220525_161642.jpg

Just a shadow from the top of the pergola I have for shade when we hitch. Lol. She has a super thick course tail and I used the new product on her and it was amazing! I sprayed it on and let it sit and zero tangles nice and soft. This is a product I'll use for her.

20220525_162109.jpg

Attachments

• 20220525_161642.jpg
    20220525_161642.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 2
I’ve definitely been getting in my clipping practice this year! I clipped Melody and Jessica, and even a friend’s mini donkey named Solo! Definitely a first for me 😂 next week I’ll be clipping a client’s mini too.

Normally I prefer to shed out my minis, but it’s getting warmer and humid where I live and I’ve started Driving Jess again. She was getting hot and sweaty and it just wasn’t working out. Melody just wasn’t shedding fast enough and was getting itchy so I decided to break out my clippers and they both seem very happy now. I’m absolutely loving the dapples coming in on Melody, this is the first time she’s gotten them!(Jess and Melody got to keep their leg fluff because I need some new clipper blades for my small clippers 😂)01F1C5CA-60B5-47EE-971F-EB43B8B99BCE.jpegF5809B0B-FE5A-4959-B453-EC1ACA9B3433.jpeg11E7799D-9A78-44D6-86D1-8EB34A4FA44D.jpegCFF3A79F-77BD-46E7-B6A7-970BF6FEE27F.jpegC4BAA9AE-199E-4220-8529-3FAF5A2C5429.jpeg00D5DCF5-3EE9-4EEE-B5BC-93A1EF9715FB.jpeg67E3F09E-701C-4600-A27C-273FEB74CA07.jpeg

Latest posts

Back