Spotted mouth on solid foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
This boy has me boggled. His dam is a solid, proven, smokey silver black roan. His sire, if my books are right, is a solid buckskin.

Luke is a beautiful silvery silver dapple with icy blue eyes. I opened his mouth today to check his teeth and his mouth is spotted like a pinto. I'm sure his blue eyes come from pinto too but from where? He has no spots anywhere. I could be wrong on the sire....and that isn't color it is which sire!

Luke unclipped

luke05.JPG

clipped (don't mind his fuzzy ears)

luke12.JPG

Hmmmm, just some guesses here, looks like he has a bit of white on his yeas in the first photo, so maybe he carries splash which could account for the blue eyes, is it possible one of the parents carry champagne? Champagne foals have a strange color dilution to them and typically are born with blue eyes that turn green and may even then turn to amber.

I think he is too, Mona. Those eyes could be from the cream and if so should turn a carmel color later. Or of course could be from splash.

He is silver black for sure and the cream is a maybe.

Well, if I'm right on the sire, he is a buckskin. That would give him the cream gene. Please explain the smokey silver black. Is that a smokey silver dapple?

Well, if I'm right on the sire, he is a buckskin. That would give him the cream gene. Please explain the smokey silver black. Is that a smokey silver dapple?
Yes ma'am. (or sir?)

Black base + cream gene + silver gene.

They come in many different shades.
default_smile.png

Silver dapples can have mottled skin.... is that what you are refering to? Or is it actually spots like a dog that has black tongue spots type of thing?

Not mottling, black spots inside his mouth. Inside his mouth is black and pink.

My regular bay gelding has dark spots in his mouth, I just chalked it up to normal skin pigmentation. [Like chow-chow dogs being known for black tongues.]

Latest posts

Back