spot on mini horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
DSC02061.jpg

duffy as a yearling no brown spot

duffy now
IMAG0204jpgduffy2011.jpg

i took this with my photo so it isn't the best photo he was eating his feed
default_smile.png

do you see the brown spot on his butt area. he didn't have that spot when he was younger. he hasn't had any other horses bite him so what is the brown spot from. his sire is grey born sorrel and dam is buckskin. he was test neg for grey gene.

i was told his sire Knells Custom Made show horse has appy chars.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a palomino that did the same thing. Nothing for years and then -BINGO!- charcoal like spotting that appeared over the next couple years. He ended up looking like a strange appaloosa on his rump (no app in the background!).
default_wacko.png

We had a palomino that did the same thing. Nothing for years and then -BINGO!- charcoal like spotting that appeared over the next couple years. He ended up looking like a strange appaloosa on his rump (no app in the background!).
default_wacko.png

wow do you have photo you could share with us
default_smile.png

The term "bend'or" spot is from the name of a TB racehorse named "Bend'Or", a sorrel(or chestnut, probably, in TB terminology)who had those 'brownish' spots scattered within his coat. I am not sure they are called that in palominos, but I do know that I have seen other palominos with such spots. Seems they are usually on the rump, and a horse may have more than one, though they are not numerous.You might find out more from a website about Palominos.

Certainly it is nothing to worry about!

Margo

default_wacko.png
"No app in the background", I say "HA" to that with Miniatures, as it is rarely KNOWN. The totally born with a huge blanket appy mare in my avatar is out of a mare that snowflaked in her fifth year. That mare, (her dam) had not one "appy" in HER background either...but there were plenty of "gray" and "roan" horses miraculously appearing, with no roan or gray parents. Obviously they were appy, but the breeders didn't know what they were looking at, and mis-coloured them on their papers.

my horse pedigree i didn't see any appys in pedigree i would love photos of some of his family

My palomino appy has numreous dark brown spots on his hindquarters in summer, most of them are not obvious in winter. I credit them to his appaloosa genes. Another of our palominos, Classy, who is not known to have appy breeding (and almost certainly does not have appy breeding since neither his sire nor dam have ever had any appy offspring) has one lone brown spot on his rump. I would call that a Bend'Or spot.

Smut marks or Bendo spots are dark spots that appear on horses of any color, but usually show up on palomino or chestnut. They can range from coin size to large patches. They are also very common in ponies such as the Welsh.

I have a mare that has one of these spots. Looks like we forgot to clean it off when we show her. She did not have it as a weanling, but it showed up last spring as a yearling. No appy backround here since she is foundation shetland and there is no appy backround in any of the foundation shetland line.

So OK, Sue C.; no known appaloosa as far as the bloodlines we had available. No I don't have the resources to dig further. Didn't matter to me-it was a gelding. So I missed a few words-'as far as we knew'. Sorry!
default_new_argue.gif

Latest posts

Back