Split gum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Discovered one of the horses has a split gum towards the front of his lower jaw. Probably from horse play and probably a few days old. I flushed it with saline and will put him on SMZ's. Anybody else had something like this happen and how did you treat it?

Hi Becky,

Noticed your post but have not had this type of incident.....yet
default_new_shocked.gif

I know that proud flesh is a worry with a deep cut on other parts of the body but for a lip I wouldn't know what to suggest.

I would likely call a vet and ask. Things that would be a worry would be how big a split and how deep.

Maybe one of the helpful doctors on here will chime in
default_yes.gif

Several years ago I had three yearling colts together in one paddock, one of them kicked another in the mouth. Had the vet out, as his two front teeth were kicked in and the gums were bleeding. She said to put warm salt water in a syringe and flush the area twice daily, and not to worry as they were baby teeth. She said the salt water would act as an antibiotic and also clean the gums. Good luck!

Can you tell how deep this is? Unless it's down to bone I would go with the advised salt water flushes and keep a close eye on it. If really deep I'd have a vet look at it.

Were you able to make sure there wasn't any debris in the cut?

My colt just split his lip and the vet advised mixing 1 teas spoon with corona and applying it twice a day... he split it almost 2 weeks ago and its almost healed but with the way he did it theres going to be scaring unfortunatly..... ugh

I wouldn't use SMZ unless a vet directs.

Saline flush is probably adequate if it's not too deep.

No one on the Internet can advise without seeing it, so I'd advise calling a vet.

I second what Riverrose said. I had this happen and my vet had me flush the area out 2X a day with a solution of water and that blue disinfectant stuff. I can't remember the name, but it is also what she uses to clean her floating tools.

I also gave SMZ's for a week.

A weanling here once got kicked in the chops and developed an abscess on the inside of her mouth. Treatment with Excede (the two shot protocol) under the skin on the neck did the trick - so easy and effective.

I agree - you should consult a vet if you have any questions in your mind about how to treat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do advise you get a Vet to look at it. I had an injury like this and I was not prepared to have scarring. It took 48 stitches- all three levels of the gum had to be stitched, the outside, the muscle in the middle and the inside. It healed brilliantly, and you could not see the join. This was the olden days, when Vets worked for their money (sorry, sorry, but Vets must be the best paid people I know) and I was charged £1.00 per stitch + a small call out fee, even though it took him three hours to do it!

I would think the price has gone up a bit now......

Just an update - My vet was out today and said the wound is granulating in nicely. Hopefully, I won't be able to see bone in a few more days! He said to continue with my twice a day saline flush and I've also been flushing once a day with dilute mouthwash. Continue with the SMZ's. Should heal fine.

Latest posts

Back