Splash

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
It is my understanding there is no test for splash, I just looked at the Animal Genetics site and did not see where you could test for it, but on the color calculator you can put in for Splash.

So If you test for LWO and it comes back negative, then do you assume they must carry Splash?

And will there be a way to test for Splash in the future? I see people advertise that their horses carry splash I just am curious how they know if there is no test.
default_unsure.png
Just trying to understand these color genetics!

There is no test for Splash yet....that I am aware of.

If your horse has blue eyes....and tests negative for LWO (Frame)....that would mean it carries Splash, as Frame & Splash are the only two patterns that can cause blue eyes.

If you know your patterns, and the differences between them, you can usually tell if a horse carries Splash even without a test.....especially if you know it's background and/or what type of foals it has thrown/produced.
default_yes.gif

as Frame & Splash are the only two patterns that can cause blue eyes.
I personally disagree as I believe some of the sabino patterns can carry a blue eye or perhaps both. But this is a personal opinion only. I have a sabino stallion (co-owned with Stephanie White (Three C) who has one blue eye and passes on blue eyes on occasion. I don't believe he carries splashed white as none of his foals have exhibited splashed white traits unless they were out of splashed white mares.

I have a lot of splashed white in my herd and as Dona mentioned, blue eyes are a trait as well as a lot of face white, white on the lower face especially. They also carry smooth colored body areas looking as though the color was poured on over the top of the horse. Splashed white also tends to remove chest and flank spots, so if you have a pinto without a chest shield or flank spots, your horse likely carries splash.

Oh, my stars, Becky--you described my new filly exactly! Amica looks like she had a can of paint poured down her back, then she is roaned in the middle and white legs! And, you know about her very wide blaze. and blue eyes. I guess she would be a splash, then! I guess that certainly makes sense, as I believe you once told me her sire is splash???

Peggy

Sabino has never been found to carry blue eyes but there is a theory that blue eyes can "happen" on their own.

I do not actually follow this theory myself, I can see no reason why Splash causing blue eyes cannot exist without any other Splash characteristics obviously occurring....after all, minimal Splash would not show on loud Tobiano, Sabino or LWO.

I have a mare who carries Splash in absolute minimal, her present filly, by a minimal Tobiano, is a loud Tobiano with very minimal Splash...no blue eyes just a white marking on the forehead.

This does not make me think the mare is anything except minimal Splash, though.

Latest posts

Back