Splash Test Results and Double Dilute Results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerminis

Reaction score
I had my mare Shimmer and Stallion Sunny tested for splash with UC Davies and their results are as follows

Silver Grace Silver Shimmer (Also tested Homozygous Black and Heterozygous SB1)

Shimmersbaby7edit.jpg

Splashed White SW-1 Result:

N/SW1 - Horse has one copy of the SW-1 mutation.

Splashed White SW-2 Result:

N/N - No copies of SW-2 mutation.

Splashed White SW-3 Result:

N/N - No copies of SW-3 mutation.

Birchwood UK Arabian Sunset (Also tested Heterozygous Silver and Homozygous Agouti)

Sunnyphoto10-1.jpg

Splashed White SW-1 Result:

N/SW1 - Horse has one copy of the SW-1 mutation.

Splashed White SW-2 Result:

N/N - No copies of SW-2 mutation.

Splashed White SW-3 Result:

N/N - No copies of SW-3 mutation.

And then my Double Dilute Colt that I had to test to see what base colour he was and if he had Dun

Banners Moonstruck Buck

BuckBody2edit.jpg

Red-Factor Result:

E/e - Both black and red factors detected. Either E or e transmitted to offspring. Basic color is black, bay or brown in the absence of other modifying genes.

Agouti Result:

a/a - Only recessive allele detected. Black pigment distributed uniformly. Basic color is black in the absence of other modifying genes.

D/N - Horse has one copy of the Dun gene. Horse will transmit Dun gene to 50% of the offspring

So Buck is a Smokey Cream Grullo

A question for you "Color" folks...I always thought folks had these color tests done just because they were curious to know what color their horse was and what colors it might produce. Then Karina said "And then my Double Dilute Colt that I had to test to see what base colour he was and if he had Dun", so I'm wondering, do people do these color tests just because they want to know or are there situations where you really need to do them?

Thanks.

Jacki

A question for you "Color" folks...I always thought folks had these color tests done just because they were curious to know what color their horse was and what colors it might produce. Then Karina said "And then my Double Dilute Colt that I had to test to see what base colour he was and if he had Dun", so I'm wondering, do people do these color tests just because they want to know or are there situations where you really need to do them?

Thanks.

Jacki
the only test that is a NEED to know test is LWO. Lethal White Overo (LWO) in homozygous form is fatal; the foal is born with an incomplete digestive system and dies shortly after birth.

To my knowledge the other tests are all primarily for owner enjoyment. Its nice to know what a cross will potentially produce, but only the one test is absolutely necessary. [i think two of the forms of splash produce lethal homozygous form, but its fatal in-utero, so not quite as devastating as LWO.]

Also though for eg. Buck is a double dilute but he could have been a Cremello, Perlino or Smokey Cream and for his paperwork its always better to be able to put his correct colour on his passport and registration so I knew he was a double dilute but couldnt for sure say what base colour he was. So now I know and I can get on with his registration.

There can be a lot of confusion with horses being mislabeled colour wise on their registration paperwork.

So yes I love to know what colour my horses are genetically but also I like to try and register them correctly when doing their paperwork.

I have a black filly that I suspect is a Smokey Black and will be testing her too before I register.

The 2 horses that I tested for splash were also tested for LWO as it was in the breeding but they both came back negative.

great news karina . did you test for cream too or are you just going by the visual?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt see the point in testing for cream as he has too solid cream parents. Banner is a Buckskin with no modifiers and Slaney a solid Dunalino. So didnt see the point in testing for cream.

I only "need" to test for LWO. However, because we breed dilutes and double dilutes here, I want to know if I have a hidden creme gene or silver gene. I have a visually solid black "smokey" black Buckeroo stallion I use for breeding, so I needed to know if I was going to breed him if he carried agouti also. If you desire to try and breed for certain colored offspring, color testing can be well worth your time. However, be aware that even with the best laid plans, nature will throw you curves. Over the last few years here we have been getting foals more in the 2 to 3% chance of color category than in the 33% t0 50% category, which is great but sometimes hard to explain given the odds.... I love the genetic color calculator but nowdays I tend to look further down the chart when thinking about what color I can get.

I love learning about genetics. I thank everyone who really got me interested in learning more (I tested two of my own so far). It really helps when folks post picture and the results. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back