Spice got kicked in the teeth!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Right so I just took Spice over to one of the neighbours houses to let him play with their two minis. The one is a mare and her about 1 yr old colt. So we let them all into the ring and all was good but then all of a sudden the mare got insanely protective of her colt. She was charging and going bonkers at him...anyway before I could grab Spice she kicked him real hard in his mouth. I heard the "knock" on his jaw/teeth from the other side of the ring. Anyway there was no blood that I could see but he won't let me touch his mouth (usually I can touch it all I want) because obviously it's really hurting. His front teeth all seemed fine. So I just gave him his grain to see if he could eat it. He ate it fine but some would fall out of his mouth then he'd have to pick it up again. |

Mum and I were just talking about it...we saw it from two different angles...So what happened was the mares hoof actually came up and hit him from the bottom. I think that might've also caused him to bite his tongue.

Ok a little bit of an update...I went out and checked all over his face/mouth. Everything seemed normal except right under his nostrils(like on his muzzle) if I touched that he got really upset. If I tried lifting it up to see his front teeth he would also get very upset. His bottom front teeth are fine...and his top front teeth look fine and felt fine. So I think it might just be sore as well as his "lip" is really sore.

Man I've seen mares get nasty but she was just...wow really nasty to my boy. His face when he got kicked...I almost felt like crying. He deffinetly didn't know what hit him and his feelings are deffinetly crushed. I feel so bad.

So what do yall think?

I think that future play dates are out of the question.

. So I think it might just be sore as well as his "lip" is really sore.

Yea, I would count on him being very sore.

I feel that you should be running a hose there so he won't be all swelled up by morning and if he is, get the hose out anyhow and trickle a lot of it on there.

I feel that you should check with your vet and he should be on something for pain/inflamation as well. That is what I would do.

To be perfectly honest I'm surprised he wasn't worse hurt!! You cannot, as you now know, just turn strange horses out together and expect them to "play". The first thing they do is work out the pecking order, which is what this mare was doing, and Yes, if the space was limited she would try to put the "new boy" outside that space, and he couldn't get there! Especially since the yearling is her foal, and she is, therefore, protecting it. Adult horses, unless they are very relaxed and know each other well, rarely play, it is not in their nature to do so. I do not think I have ever seen my mares "play" per se, and I would never turn them into a pen with a stranger. A five acre field, maybe, but not a pen. You could try again with just the yearling, but Spice might take his revenge- quite rightly as he is older and therefore dominant. That is all that really interests horses- the social, and therefore the dominance, structure.

Sorry he got knocked, instead of a hose, a nice bucket of ice water and a big hand towel folded and wrung out gently laid on his boo boo may make him feel better.

I would DEFINATELY have him evaluated by a vet today, to make sure nothig has been broken or shattered by the kick. It sure wouldn't hurt at all, and if it was my horse, I would feel better knowing for sure, one way or the other.

As Rabbitsfizz said, horses are not an animal that like to be turned out with other strangers, just to play. Adding a new horse to the group can always be risky, and a mare will do nuts to protect her foal from other horses she does not already know and trust.

Hope your boy will be OK.

Well Spice is perfectly fine now the vet was contacted and such...and they did know eachother and it wasn't in a small pen.

It's a shame you've never seen your horses "play" all the horses I know up here love runnin around and scratchin with their buddies.<---play. It really is a nice sight.

Latest posts

Back