Speaking of color calculating....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilnickers

Reaction score
Dam is a silver buckskin, and sire is a cremello...........is my filly a perlino or cremello? Does it mean she carries triple dilute genes?? Is there such a thing? Non-horsey people mention she looks like a goat! Poor girl!
DSCF0819.jpg
[/img]

The pic is hard to tell from. But she looks cremello to me. Does she have pink skin blue eyes? She must have both of them to be either cremello or perlino.

To tell if she is a perlino she would have dirty looking legs, the root area of her mane would also look a dirty brownish color.

I have never heard of a triple dilute. my cremello is a double dilute. A perlino has some mixed darker hairs in the tail hair's usually, insted of them being all cream or white. Did you see any slightly darker hairs inside her tail? What I find unusual about her, is her golden color, which seems more like a palomino to me, except for her skin color.. How old is she?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say she is cremello; her coat color is golden enough she could be palomino, except she has so much pink skin around her eyes and nose. Palominos are often pink in these areas when they are newborn, but the pink soon turns to black. This doesn't look like a newborn foal, so I'm thinking the pink will stay. That means cremello, assuming her eyes are blue? I don't see this as being perlino, but it could be--you'll have a better idea as she sheds out, and of course you might tell more from close inspection than we can from photos.

No, your filly cannot have triple cream genes. Genes come only in pairs! Your filly will have gotten one cream gene from her sire, and one from her dam. The sire has 2 cream genes, but cannot pass both of those on to his foal.

She has pink skin, all over, and very blue eyes. Her leg hairs seem to be the same color as her body. The mane and tail may be a small bit darker at the roots , but very little . Here is a picture of her at 2 weeks old.
DSCF0693.jpg
[/img]

Minimor, thanks for the triple gene clarafication!! Forgot to mention , in the first pic ,she is 3 months old.
smile.gif

She sure doesnt look either perlino or cremello in the baby pic. Sure way to find out would be to clip her.

What an unusual color at 2 weeks old!

How about this--perhaps she is a smokey cream? That is, black with the double dilution gene. That last photo made me think of that.

It SURE is tempting to clip her!!! It's been such a hot summer, but will her winter coat have enough time to grow in ? I'm not too talented in the clipping dept, can you see why? Here's my colts 1/2 clip
no.gif
gunnyclipped.jpg
[/img]

Minimor has a good point, she could be smoky cream, but I've never seen one before (that I know of) so I don't know what one would look like. I was thinking perlino, looking at her 2-week old pic.

The best way to know would be to have her tested.
yes.gif

She just seems to dark for a perlino. Yes she will still have plenty of time to get winter coat back in. Do you have a cattle clippers? If so you can clipp her with that. I have clipped foals into September before with out problems.

I agree that she looks like a smokey cream in the baby-pics.

She is definatly a double dilute, what kind can only be determend by a color test.

Cremello´s, perlino´s and smokey creams should always be tested, you´ll be surprised how often people are wrong.
wink.gif

The more reddish mane and tale could be an indicator for perlino for example but often the are tested to be different.

I think she is a double dilute + Silver (black)- She could by the way, easily be Perlino and Cremello at the same time, and Perlinos are not always identifiable by sight, sometimes only testing will tell, however I do not think that is the case here.

I think she carries the silver gene and might end up being a silver buckskin. She is a bit golden compared to the smokey creams I have seen as babies although I will admit that hasnt been alot.

My bet though is when you clip her you will find darker points maybe it is just me but I really see silver in there. There face and skin can take awhile to darken even my chestnut filly had pink skin for months before it turned dark

Latest posts

Back