source for long but narrow lead ropes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get colored 3/8" or 1/2" lead ropes in 8-10' lengths for a reasonable price. I feel the full-size horse leads, usually 5/8", are too heavy for the minis; but the mini leads are mostly only 6' long and I prefer a longer lead. [i'm 5'10", and those short leads are just too short for my taste. I have a few, but really don't like them.]

Thanks.

I can't help you with where to look for longer leads,

BUT...

It's easy and cheap to make your own. Various ropes and the metal clamp and the snaps are all at Home Depot and I'm sure other places like that.

Charlotte

I can't help you with where to look for longer leads,

BUT...

It's easy and cheap to make your own. Various ropes and the metal clamp and the snaps are all at Home Depot and I'm sure other places like that.

Charlotte
Don't have Home Depot (nor other stores that are similar) around here, and so far the little local hardware stores only carry 5/8" rope or plain white (hoping for fun colors), I'm still looking, as I have one more hardware store to check. Also, searching on line for the colored poly rope in 3/8" and not having much luck, perhaps I'm calling it the wrong thing.

And, in my search, after posting here, find that Ozark Tack does carry 3/8"x8' leads, they are more expensive than the 6' leads I've seen elsewhere, but at least I found them.

I do the same as Charlotte and make my own.

I get bundles of the narrow rope in different colors at Atwoods, Fox's or Tractor supply. Then I just buy the clamps and snaps and make them up while I am watching TV or sitting around.

You can buy the colored flat leads at most pet stores for dogs. The Hamilton brand is the same colors as the Hamilton mini halters. I like the dog leads because they are thinner and come in various lengths from 4' on up.

I was able to get a large bundle of bright colored rope at TSC and have made several of the lighter but longer lead, lunge line etc....and I have finally about used that bundle up. It was on sale for around 5.00 if I remember, then with clamps, snaps, etc I have a rope whenever I turn around. I prefer a 8-10 ft lead with lighter rope for the minis.

My husband makes custom ropes - he does 1/2 inch from Marine rope, they're the best ropes I've ever used, soft, easy to tie, easy to untie, strong! No metal clamps, they're all woven back into the rope and hand sewn. I love mine. He can make them with any kind of snap and any length of rope. And they're lifetime guaranteed. Message me and I'll get you his phone number - I'll bet we can get you one to try and see how you like it - I won't use anything else now (of course, it helps that I can get whatever I want whenever I want it!)

If there isn't anywhere near you that carries the smaller rope check Ebay. You can get the material to make your own halters there if you had the equipment to stitch them together.

Karen

I've found the perfect leads at www.valleyvet.com - they have quite a few choices, but my favorite is the 3/8" x 8" leads, available in royal blue or pink - LOVE them and they very well made.

I've found the perfect leads at www.valleyvet.com - they have quite a few choices, but my favorite is the 3/8" x 8" leads, available in royal blue or pink - LOVE them and they very well made.
I'll have to recheck my Valley Vet catalog, I must of missed those when I was looking. Thank you.

And, thank you everyone else for the suggestions. I'm going to town today, so I'll check and see what the two litle stores there have.

The thinner climbing rope makes great leads too - has a nice feel in your hands and is very durable. Same process, buy your own hardware and rope.

I don't like flat leads, but I do like the smaller rope.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
You can probably touch base with some of the miniature horse suppliers like Ozark or Star Lake Tack -- I know that in the past I have special ordered extra long leads from them and they have been happy to oblige.

I buy my lead ropes from Pondlake Stables - they are absolutley the best - you can special order and get any length or color that you want - it is fun to co-ordinate the lead ropes with your halters.

Here is a link to some of the lead ropes they make-

http://www.pondlakestables.com/apparel.html#leadropes

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. While not quite as colorful as I had hoped for, I did find a rope bundle in town today for a good price; also found a few pieces of the necessary hardware (need more snaps, as they only had two in-stock), so I can make up a few leadropes.

Back