Sorrel or Palomino?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophielady07

Reaction score
Hi! My yearling miniature mare is caught between the colors of sorrel or palomino. I have no idea which one to put on her registration papers. Her mother is a red roan and her father was definitely not any part of palomino. Can you tell me which color you think she is? Pictures of her are below:

l_94c45fa47bd2a978d0c610234018aa8a.jpg

l_849fb856c4d82b1563d3e90a8d9e9fbe.jpg

l_11e2716dabdd55884a4c446f57b8fcb5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess(and it is only a guess; I'm not a 'color maven', but rely on 58 continuous years with horses)...is that she is a very light sorrel. I see a 'reddish' tint to her body, and even in her forelock and tail, that don't say 'palomino' to me....

What color are her sire and dam? Have you seen them for yourself?

Whichever she is, she is a very ATTRACTIVE color!!

Margo

Definitely sorrel (chestnut). Her mane,tail, and forelock would be much whiter if she was a true palomino.

Andrea

I would say sorrel... unless she has a cream dilute for a parent (ie buckskin, palomino, cremello, ect.) Depending on the parent, I could change my mind.

I would list her as sorrel and then could always send a color correction to the registery if genetic testing proves otherwise if she has a bucksin or palomino for a parent. If she has a cremello, perlino, or any other double dilute cream, then I would say she has to be at least a palomino. Again, genetic testing would verify this.

I agree with sorrel. Her mane, tail, and forelock would be flaxen, much more white.
default_smile.png

I agree with sorrel -- there's a peachy tint, vs. a golden one like it would be if she were palomino. She is adorable
default_yes.gif

Okay, first reaction to me is that she looks to be the color of a belgian or haflinger. There is a modifier in certain breeds, I can't place the name of it( I know Jane (Rabbitfizz) knows it, she has spoke of it on here a few weeks back. It causes a sorrel horse to have a pale buttery colored belly, as well a their muzzle and sometimes around their eyes also. Horses with this are often called palominos, but are not true palomino. If the breeds above had that many true palominos, then we would see cremellos,(from the cream genes occasionally combining in the parents that are listed as palominos) which we do not see in these breeds. There may be a few out there, but I have yet to see them.

Anyhow, I believe your horse is a sorrel with this modifier.

Carolyn

Looks like a chestnut (sorrel) to me. What a gorgeous girl and what an amazing, full tail!

What a beautiful shiny, silky filly!!!

She is a gorgeous color -
default_wub.png
I can see why you were wondering if she were a palomino but I do agree with the others and I think she is a sorrel with a beautiful tail!!
default_yes.gif

She's definitely a very cute sorrel filly. Her mane and tail would be white without any red coloring to it at all. Plus, palominos are yellowish, not red. The Palomino Horse Association used to say they need to be "five shades lighter or five shades darker than a newly minted gold coin". (As if I ever saw one of THOSE!
default_biggrin.png
)

She's a cutie, no matter!

Lucy

She looks like an adorable little Belgian. I know that's not what you are asking, but a picture of her with a Belgian would be so cute!
default_smile.png

Sorrel/Chestnut
default_yes.gif

I had a mare that was about the same color, Ginnie owns her now, that i clipped and she lightened to about the color of your mare. Was your mare clipped recently? That might be why she is lighter colored at the time being.

She looks to "red" to be palomino
default_smile.png

Okay, first reaction to me is that she looks to be the color of a belgian or haflinger. There is a modifier in certain breeds, I can't place the name of it( I know Jane (Rabbitfizz) knows it, she has spoke of it on here a few weeks back. It causes a sorrel horse to have a pale buttery colored belly, as well a their muzzle and sometimes around their eyes also. Horses with this are often called palominos, but are not true palomino. If the breeds above had that many true palominos, then we would see cremellos,(from the cream genes occasionally combining in the parents that are listed as palominos) which we do not see in these breeds. There may be a few out there, but I have yet to see them.

Anyhow, I believe your horse is a sorrel with this modifier.

Carolyn
I think you are referring to Pangare, and I agree. Although I agree that she is Sorrel, I think many are overlooking that a Smokey Black can produce a Palomino also if it is not homozygous for Black. I have had lots of those.

That's he term, Songcatcher! Thanks,It was driving me nuts trying to remember it, they call it the pangare or mealy gene.

Carolyn

I too am just getting to grips with the colour thing but first impressions is Sorrel - although she is beautiful girl whatever the colour
default_yes.gif

I have a mare the same color and was told she was "golden sorrel"

her dam is sorrel, sire palomino

IMG_4031edit.jpg

I assume that means she carries a gene for creme? what would she produce if bred to buckskin?

Latest posts

Back