Sorrel or Palomino?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a mare the same color and was told she was "golden sorrel"

her dam is sorrel, sire palomino

IMG_4031edit.jpg

I assume that means she carries a gene for creme? what would she produce if bred to buckskin?

No, if she carried cream she would be palomino. Golden Sorrel is more of a description than a genuine color.

If you breed her to a buckskin you can get:

Sorrel

Palomino

Buckskin

Bay

Black

Smoky Black

Lucy

I should have known that :DOH!

one cream gene palomino

two cream genes cremollo or perlino. right?

I keep forgetting if they carry the cream gene it's expressed.

I am casting my vote for Red Roan. I have had several that have gone the same route and sometimes they will be two years old before you can really see the roaning.

I have learned the roan gene is a strong one!

I have skipped straight to the end, so apologies if I am repeating.

You filly is Flaxen + Red (chestnut/sorrel) + (very probably form what I can see) Pangaré.

Pangaré is what gives her the creamy legs and underbelly...like a Belgian Draught??...she is not Palomino.

If she was a true red roan she would have a darker head and legs. I think jane hit the nail one the head with her being pangare and sorrel.
default_yes.gif

I have a mare the same color and was told she was "golden sorrel"

her dam is sorrel, sire palomino

IMG_4031edit.jpg

I assume that means she carries a gene for creme? what would she produce if bred to buckskin?
No, I don't think she carries cream. Golden sorrel would be more of a descriptive term, not a gentic color. I don't think this horse above carries cream. Sorrel x palomino can easily result in sorrel. Here is my golden palomino guy, pictured 6 days after clipping (ie, he doesn't lose color with a clip)
default_wub.png
See the gold, vs. red? Both colors are really nice, but they are different from each other.

[SIZE=12pt]Little King’s BT Bacardi Gold, a/k/a “Bacardi”[/SIZE]

2004 37.25” AMHR Golden Palomino Gelding – Son of Ima Boones Little Buckeroo Too (“BTU”)

Supreme and Grand Halter Champion / First Place Solid Color – My Favorite Horse

BACARDI%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20136%20GELDINGS.jpg

Latest posts

Back