Sores on Snickas Head

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi,

So I was out with the minis this afternoon and I took Snickas out to do some work with her. When we finished I gave her a pat and I rubbed her head and when I pushed her fringe up I saw large sores on her forehead.

I dont know if she was itchy and scratched it that much that it made a sore or if Willow has bitten or kicked her which is something Willow would possibly do around food or if Snickas got on her nerves.

Her fringe is very thick and it was pretty hot the last few days so maybe she was sweating which caused an irritation.

I lightly touched it, it didn't seem to phase her. I put some antibacterial spray on it just in case.

She has a lot of dead skin on her head, Not sure what to call it but if you scratch her head white powdery stuff comes up which I think is dead skin? She has some furr missing further down her face and neck but not as bad as whats on her forehead. They dont look too deep but the one behind her ear looks slightly deeper.

When I put the spray on she didnt like it at all, I wasnt sure if it was scaring her or stinging, So I put the spray on a cloth and dabbed it on which she still didnt like.

But what do you all think? Just a scratching problem or something else??

Heres the photos

Thanks In advance

Last edited by a moderator:
The one above her eye almost looks like a kick mark, but the one behind her ear is in a strange place for fighting injury. Anytime an animal gets bald spots, I usually check for parasites first, but those are even in an unusual place for scratching rub-off.

You didn't say how long it had been since you saw her up close, the one behind her ear doesn't look fresh if it was an injury. Could she have had her head someplace it didn't belong, and gotten scraped extricating herself? I've run out of ideas.

Thanks for the reply,

I checked over her body for further bald spots and found none. I am out with them every day (unless its storming) But sometimes its just after school and i clean out their yards and give them all a cuddle and a scratch, I don't take much notice as in checking their whole body down every afternoon.

She has such a bushy thick fringe that it almost hid it completely, only that I was very proud of her and gave her a good scratch I saw it today.

I am out of ideas as well, She could have gotten stuck but we only have barbed wire fences and I would imagine they would leave cuts not sores. Our paddock is pretty pony proof, some things in there but they have been in the paddock ever since I got them and never had an issue.

She isn't the type to go running around with my colts, so I dont think she was kicked while playing.

But when I feed them all I spread out the hay into different parts of the yards to try prevent fights, normally its all good but Snickas can be a little cow and scare the boys away from their pile, they normally just go eat with Willow because she can actually share. But I have seen Snickas go over and try kick the boys away from Willows pile and Willow will kick Snickas (but normally misses her), maybe that happened but willow actually got her?

It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I'd like to find out what could possibly have happened so I can prevent it.

Looks a little like rain rot sores. Might be a skin irritation from maybe sweating and all the hair not letting her skin dry properly. It's probably a dermatitis of some sort, which is just the fancy word for skin inflammation.

I would guess it to be some sort of dermatitis or fungus/bacteria. I would wash it with an antimicrobial wash and keep putting the anti bacterial spray or whatever you have on it. It should clear up. Horses often get this from sweating and then rolling in the dirt that has something in it. I am going to guess the big sore on her ear is probably from her scratching it so much.

Rain rot or ring worm. Now, if it is ring worm, that is highly contagious and you can get it too. Both rain rot and ring worm will respond to an anti-fungal. Since it is near the eyes, an athlete's foot cream would work well and you don't have to worry about it dripping into the eyes. Rub it in vigorously. You should probably use rubber or latex disposable gloves - and regardless, wash your hands thoroughly every time you handle your horse.

I will get some anti-fungal cream for her (I think we have some)

With the clipping do i clip her whole face or just the top infected part, and do I clip as short as I can?

Looks to me like a fungus she itched raw. That one above the eye looks like ringworm to me.

Honestly, douse it a few days with livestock strength anti fungal, then clip it. Get it a little less contagious before you go sticking your hand on it!

Try and get some Quit- Itch lotion , should do the trick, im fairly sure its made in QLD so you shouldn't have any trouble getting it. Its used a lot for Queensland itch. Read the instructions very carefully and as Jean B mentioned , good hygiene practices are a must.

Thanks everyone,

I will clip her head today and try treat it. I actually have the exact bottle you are talking about Ryan, I really like it it worked amazing on our old mini so I might give it a shot.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back