sooty vrs smutty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I was reading another topic and did'nt want to steal the tread, but there was some discussion on smutty vrs sooty. I read it but did'nt get it. Sooo what is the differance and is there any examples.

I have a stallion that I always called him a smutty buckskin roan...

Is he smutty or sooty?

He has different shades of patches all over his body in hair colors. Some lighter, then slightly darker. I had many pics of his coat up close on a brindle thread back when Marbles was discoverd as a brindle.

Thanks!

100_2012.jpg

DSC03004_cropped_4x6_sm.jpg

DSC02969_cropped_6x4_sm.jpg

sentra_2009_2.jpg

lk sentra.jpg

I've always assumed they were the same thing, but if they're not I'd be happy to hear the difference as well!

I always thought it was the same also. I have a sooty buckskin mini mare, in spring just before she sheds her winter coat she looks almost black, her summer coat is a georgous buckskin shade with an enormous amount of dappling on her coat. I never get tired of looking at her.

Mindy I don't think your boy is sooty at all - I think his base color is brown instead of bay. Notice in the winter coat picture particularly how light his muzzle is, around his eyes, his belly, chest - ie his "soft parts". That is very, very typical of a brown base. So he'd be a brown buckskin roan. Buckeroo breeding? There are a lot of Buckeroo bred brown buckskins!

Nope! No Buckeroo at all. He however is a double bred King Supreme son. My boy has produced 15 foals so far being palimino - buckskin - perlino - silver bay roan - bay roan - buckskin roan - dun. This yr he threw a filly that looked like a golden buckskin untill I clipped her. Now she's dark buckskin/brown like his winter picture. She's the only one to date that turned out so dark. I call her a dark buckskin as Im not sure what to call her.

I also always thought it was an interchangable term. We have some buckskins that I call smutty... but would figure sooty is equally correct. The first one is out of two buckskins, and the bottom two are partneral sisters out of double dilute mares.

KHAKI--07312006--%20BRUSHED%20027%20MARES.jpg

Piper-06262011-5--MARES.jpg

Infinity-06262011-5--MARES.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I posted more info and pics on the other thread. Here goes, Sooty is usually the term to use, but like Matt said same thing different words. Your stallion, VERY nice looking by the way, is sooty. He has the face mask which is an indicator of sooty, similar to the mask dun will produce. Your stallion looks just like my silver dapple mare's sire, a Shadow Oaks Top Banana grandson and a sooty buckskin.

Jill my other little sooty buckskin filly in her second year is finally starting to develop the color of your first pictured buckskin. Her grand dam is a sooty buckskin also and looks just like your third pictured buckskin. I posted a pic of her showing her face mask, and dorsal stripe that sooty can produce. We thought she was dunskin since her sire was a smokey grullo. Her dam shows the sooty gene and now is showing some stripes for the first time in spring similar to brindle like Marbles, only with 4 lines either side of her dorsal at the wither. Thus it is involved in brindle and dappling.

Now, if you aren't thoroughly confused by now, it took two sets of genetic testing at Davis and Animal Genetics to figure out and believe the results for our sooty buckskin. She looked grulla after clipping until a yearling and the gold color started to come back. At foaling she was as light and tan as any buckskin foal.

I do have a question, does brown base have agouti? Or is that what seperates a bay base from brown? Just for interest, roan does not affect points only body color, but sabino roaning like my avatar boy roans the entire body including face or leg points as Masq is if you can tell. I thought it was interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back