Sooo Upsetting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
Today I figured I should get my stud some exercise before the bad weather hits again. I got him out and I had him on a lead. I was trying to get the girls to all go into his pen so he could run with out hurting them. Well they all (the girls) running and bucking and acting the fool. Then Princess (the mare that is due shortly) fell. Butt over elbows. She had her head tucked under her shoulder when she flipped up in the air and rolled over and landed with a thud. The brat started to run and buck again. I am so afraid that something might have happened to the foal. She seems OK. I have been checking her every few hours. She is not in labor or anything and ate well. But then when she had her last foal she was fed at 6:00am and foaled at 6:30am. She showed no signs of labor when she was fed. We put her on a lead for about a half an hour and we did feel some kicks. She couldn't be due at any worse time. And she couldn't have picked a worse time to be an idiot. Our weather is turning bad tonight. I think I am going to move my carts and give her a really sheltered stall for the next week. This will take her out of all the horse nonsense. I just hope the foal is alright. Even though it was not planned doesn't mean we want any harm to come to it.

I bet that was scary,hope she continues to do well
default_yes.gif

I'm sure everything is fine. There is a lot of fluid and tissue that surrounds the fetus and protects it. Lots of shock absorption for both the mare and foal.

I'm with Matt, those babies are pretty well protected in there and aren't likely to be injured from a tumble.

I agree with Matt and Milo. Although, I would still be as afraid as you are. It is one thing to know it nad here it from the vet and another thing to not worry. But just so you know my vet says for a mare to abort, at a late stage it has to endanger the mares life. My vet always says be concerned, but don't worry. I find that hard to do, but he always says concern is for your ponies, worry is for your kids. I just will be thinking of you, you mare and the little one.

I agree with both Matt and Milo as well, mares in the wild go through a lot while pregnant, they run miles and probably slip and fall. I wouldnt worry to much, however I would put her in a sheltered stall in case it did cause her to foal early. Hope everything works it self out and that you will have a beautiful boucing baby, keep us posted
default_saludando.gif

Dan

I was up very late last night checking her about every 1/2 hour. She thought I was nuts. The way she fell she could have broken her own neck. I guess she hit the point of her shoulder and flipped over her shoulder with her neck doubled backwards. Her butt went into the air and landed on the other side of her. My dad used to call it "A** over elbows" She seems fine and has about 3/4 bag. Last foal she had 30 days after we got her. She had a light bag and went to full blown bag in that 30 days so it shouldn't be long now as long as she dosen't kill herself.

Latest posts

Back