Sometimes you feel like a butt...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
Well...

It wasn't Mingus' nor my weekend...or at least not the show...

However, I've learned that most of the times our animals misbehave, it's our own fault, and this was very true in our case.

Mingus and I left for our 2 hour trip to Soanaway ona high note, thanks to the beautiful (but very heavy) ramp that Keith built for our minivan. Mingus thoroughly enjoyed the royal treatment and went up the ramp without hesitation. I generally like to have someone else along just in case we have a problem, but my friend was not able to come and Keith had work and a gig, so it was just Mingus and me.

A side note: if you want to now how idiotic some people can be, simply transport a horse on a major highway. I especially love those friendly waves using a single finger...

We found the show grounds and got Mingus settled in. I was showing Mingus in his gorgeous, natural summer coat, and only needed to clip whiskers, muzzle, ears and fetlocks, so although we had dulled the blades clipping Daryl's Suzie Q, I figured they could last through this small task...well...they would only clip on the 30 setting (Wahl StablePro clippers), which was great for the muzzle and whiskers, but not what I had in mind for his fetlocks. Oh yeah...the lighting in the barn was awful...

I managed this, fed and settled him in for the night and left to find my hotel. Now, I admit I'm frugal...some say cheap...a tightwad. I had reserved what looked online to be a decent motel a few minutes from the showgrounds...the cheapest I could find. It was clean and decent, but the clientele gave me the heebie geebies...what does $39/night for a "studio" motel room suggest to you? Ah well, I survived the night.

Morning began with measuring in, and Mingus passed easily -- YAY...

Next came bathtime. Now,does that word ring warning bells to anyone else who has read all of my Mingus stories? These bells should have been ringing loudly in my ears, the owner of the horse who hates baths and REALLY knows how to hold a grudge...

When we were done, Mingus was sleek, shiny, gorgeous and totally PI55ED. He was no longer my sweet, cuddly boy, but rather a fire breathing dragon. We made it through the rest of our show prep without any bodily harm (if you forgive those passive-aggressive stomps on my feet...) and headed off for the show ring.

So far, so good. There was Liz (Nootka), lending moral support, and we entered the ring for model gelding. Mingus must have heard that all he had to do here was stand still, because that was absolutely the LAST thing he was going to do for me! I was told that for the single millisecond that he held still, he looked great, but during that millisecond, the judge was looking the other way. When the judge did look, Mingus was doing his best to drop his head and roll...

The class ended, ribbons were given out (no ribbons for bad boys), but revenge was not complete...Mingus was bent on total humiliation. With a leap, he pulled the lead from my slippery hands and displayed his best liberty moves... fortunately coming quickly to a halt next to a very well-behaved gelding. I'm sure that had he been in liberty class, he would have stood still.

To make a long story short, I had entered him in two other halter classes and color. He acted up throughout the halter classes. By the time solid color came around, he was a bit better, but I'm sure the judge was sick of his antics by then...nothing there either.

That was yesterday...this morning we got up bright and early and walked the showgrounds. We walked...we backed...we whoaed...we visited the scary wash rack...we walked past many mares, stallions and geldings with no trash talk. All perfect behavior, head held high in the air, coat gleaming in the sun. His classes were over, so now he was the model citizen. The rest of the show was a blast...he got to eat, sleep, roll, and go for walks with mom...I got to visit and shop.

Ah...we have so much to learn...I need to desensitize him to baths, but I will skip baths the day of the show. We'll establish once and for all that whoa is not open for interpretation and that rolling needs to wait for the stall. He needs to learn patience, I need to learn how to help him with all of the above.

We have many shows in the future, lots of time to work, and many chances to get it right. My big regret is that for many, this was their first impression of Mingus, and I don't want him remembered for my mistakes. All I can say is blame me, not my boy.

But you know...just between you and me...he really was being a butt!

Oh Susanne- most of us have been there!! My first show with my yearling Arab colt he tried to fight his Sire in the ring!!! They MEANT it!! I can never understand why anyone would clip or bathe on a showground- I know a horse that has travelled hours will need a rubdown but mine are all bathed, clipped and trimmed the day before the show- all I need to do when I get there is titivate!! Another thing- that's a short journey- all my shows are at least two hours and I live in a country where, in six hours, you can run out of land- so, why not go the day of the show?? Or were you juts making a vacation of it?? In which case- lucky you!! Think back to this time last year, and the trouble you had, Mingus has come a long way, he still has a long way to go. The horse deserves to be shown, he's gorgeous, so you'll just have to get some builders boots with steel toecaps, wash him the day before - and is there any chance of taking him into the arena, or at least the collecting ring, the night before and giving him a lesson in not rolling?? Tell him you have removed his testicles- the ears are next!!!

My kids do this to. That is why a bath the night before is a must. That way they have plenty of time to settle down and get eveything out.

I love your stories like nothin' else. I practically perk up my ears and definitely settle in for "Story Time with Susanne." And you did not disappoint!
aktion033.gif

Mingus has a lot to learn, but so do a lot of our little ones. And often we owners need to learn at least as much about when and how we can push them for something as we do about how to show them. I learned long ago that if I wanted Spyder to behave I'd better not try to transfer my stress about running late onto his shoulders. If I couldn't get ready in time working in a leisurely fashion, guess what: he went in the ring without hoofblack or with his mane unbraided for hunter. Oh well. It just wasn't worth the battle because he'd be perfectly turned out but fighting me with his ears pinned the entire class. I'd rather have a dirty angel then a clean brat! LOL.

But then again, I show performance.

In any case, congratulations on another learning experience and a well-written story. Wish I could have been there.

Leia

That is so funny and I have certainly been there too.

I have learned that all clipping, bathing, polishing feet, muzzle trimming and so forth must be done the day before. Not only your horse but many many horse get wired when done the day of classes.

He should learn to respect you tho., and I know it is hard when you love them so much. It seems like you do not realize what and how they are behaving at home, but really do notice it around horses. A fast lesson in manners does not always work at a show either.

Good luck at your next show! Do you have photos of this show? At least now you know what you have to work on.

Beth

Oh no Susanne,....

What a little Butt he was being... rather reminds me of my son's cat.

Love it when your write, always have a smile afterwards. Been there done that too.

Could always put one of those slinky body suits on him to keep him clean until his classes.
wink.gif
Have seen ones with fireworks or flames on them.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
OH that little Devil
biggrin.gif

Yup your learning!

Bathe and finish clipping the day before the show.
yes.gif

Then put him in a sheet. When you take the sheet off, just use a towel to brush him down with.

Right before my class I'll carry a tiny rag or diaper wipe with me right up to the gate too and wipe off any thing I need to, nostrils etc.

Some people may disagree with me, but sometimes I just have to correct a horse as "quietly" in a class as best as I can. I've had horses perform perfectly at home, but once in a show, they will deliberatly cut up on me. So if it happens more than once in the ring, without getting corrected, they will usually wait until they get in there to cut up again.

Atleast you had some fun anyways.
yes.gif

I especially love those friendly waves using a single finger...
Such class, eh?!!!
laugh.gif

Looks like your show weekend altho keeping you on your toes, was pretty memorable! It definitely is an experience to show and experience both ends of the field. I'll bet Mingus was looking quite the charmer. From my big horses to my little ones I have realized for me that we do best with all the show preps such as washing and trims the day before. At the shows all we have to do is touch ups and then we can walk and visit the grounds and get used to the sites and sounds. Glad you had a nice time tho.

Hee hee very funny and yes i am sure we have all been there I can remember my first horse show with minis and it went very much like your show this day.. only instead of letting the horse go thru my lead the whole halter came off

then in the class the announcer was saying (so they could hear in the parking lot as well)
rolleyes.gif
Wow lisa i thought your horse had a silly name when i saw it here on the paper but after seeing him in the past two classes (of which we didnt place) I think his name Ruff N Tuffs Cool Jerk couldnt be more appropriate
rolleyes.gif

LOVED your story!

Is it possible he was feeding off of YOUR nerves? My show horses used to be JUST LIKE THAT...model citizens outside the ring, then dancing, unrully maniacs IN the ring! I knew I got nervous in the ring....my kids tell me that's a major understatement!....but I came to realize that my horse was mirroring MY emotion, even though I didn't realize it! They are such sensitive creatures!!

Sounds like you and Mingus are a good team. Keep smiling! :)

Darn, I missed meeting you Susanne! We had to move my hubby's mom to her new very fancy assisted living apartment or I would have been there. I ususally go at least to the Tacoma unit show and Monroe
sad.gif

Mngus just needs more travel time and he'll be perfect. When/if I ever get my darned trailer finished, Trig and Blue will be doing a lot of day trips to get them used to the whole process. I can see Trig faithfully following Mingus' lead in buttheadedness. He can get really ticked at me when I put too much pressure on him, like expecting him to be a good boy for a minute, too
biggrin.gif
Too bad I wasn't there with Trig or we could have at least tied for the perpetual motion award.

Sorry about the one finger salutes you got but I don't think it was because you had a horse in your mini van. I suspect it may have had more to do the derogatory bumper stickers about GW?

You did have to come though a long red zone in this "blue" state to get to get to Tacoma
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I too love your stories
aktion033.gif
For you to take it all in stride and look forward to the next time really is encouraging to others who don't start out at the best. Good luck with your beautiful boy and know you will give his bath the day before, next time! Mary

susanne said:
Well...
It wasn't Mingus' nor my weekend...or at least not the show...

However, I've learned that most of the times our animals misbehave, it's our own fault, and this was very true in our case.

Mingus and I left for our 2 hour trip to Soanaway ona high note, thanks to the beautiful (but very heavy) ramp that Keith built for our minivan. Mingus thoroughly enjoyed the royal treatment and went up the ramp without hesitation. I generally like to have someone else along just in case we have a problem, but my friend was not able to come and Keith had work and a gig, so it was just Mingus and me.

A side note: if you want to now how idiotic some people can be, simply transport a horse on a major highway. I especially love those friendly waves using a single finger...

We found the show grounds and got Mingus settled in. I was showing Mingus in his gorgeous, natural summer coat, and only needed to clip whiskers, muzzle, ears and fetlocks, so although we had dulled the blades clipping Daryl's Suzie Q, I figured they could last through this small task...well...they would only clip on the 30 setting (Wahl StablePro clippers), which was great for the muzzle and whiskers, but not what I had in mind for his fetlocks. Oh yeah...the lighting in the barn was awful...

I managed this, fed and settled him in for the night and left to find my hotel. Now, I admit I'm frugal...some say cheap...a tightwad. I had reserved what looked online to be a decent motel a few minutes from the showgrounds...the cheapest I could find. It was clean and decent, but the clientele gave me the heebie geebies...what does $39/night for a "studio" motel room suggest to you? Ah well, I survived the night.

Morning began with measuring in, and Mingus passed easily -- YAY... 

Next came bathtime. Now,does that word ring warning bells to anyone else who has read all of my Mingus stories? These bells should have been ringing loudly in my ears, the owner of the horse who hates baths and REALLY knows how to hold a grudge...

When we were done, Mingus was sleek, shiny, gorgeous and totally PI55ED. He was no longer my sweet, cuddly boy, but rather a fire breathing dragon. We made it through the rest of our show prep without any bodily harm (if you forgive those passive-aggressive stomps on my feet...) and headed off for the show ring.

So far, so good. There was Liz (Nootka), lending moral support, and we entered the ring for model gelding. Mingus must have heard that all he had to do here was stand still, because that was absolutely the LAST thing he was going to do for me! I was told that for the single millisecond that he held still, he looked great, but during that millisecond, the judge was looking the other way. When the judge did look, Mingus was doing his best to drop his head and roll...

The class ended, ribbons were given out (no ribbons for bad boys), but revenge was not complete...Mingus was bent on total humiliation. With a leap, he pulled the lead from my slippery hands and displayed his best liberty moves... fortunately coming quickly to a halt next to a very well-behaved gelding. I'm sure that had he been in liberty class, he would have stood still.

To make a long story short, I had entered him in two other halter classes and color. He acted up throughout the halter classes. By the time solid color came around, he was a bit better, but I'm sure the judge was sick of his antics by then...nothing there either.

That was yesterday...this morning we got up bright and early and walked the showgrounds. We walked...we backed...we whoaed...we visited the scary wash rack...we walked past many mares, stallions and geldings with no trash talk. All perfect behavior, head held high in the air, coat gleaming in the sun. His classes were over, so now he was the model citizen. The rest of the show was a blast...he got to eat, sleep, roll, and go for walks with mom...I got to visit and shop.

Ah...we have so much to learn...I need to desensitize him to baths, but I will skip baths the day of the show. We'll establish once and for all that whoa is not open for interpretation and that rolling needs to wait for the stall. He needs to learn patience, I need to learn how to help him with all of the above.

We have many shows in the future, lots of time to work, and many chances to get it right. My big regret is that for many, this was their first impression of Mingus, and I don't want him remembered for my mistakes. All I can say is blame me, not my boy.

But you know...just between you and me...he really was being a butt!

420926[/snapback]

I love it, Shirley!...actually, we only have two bumper snickers...Kerry/Edwards and "what?"...

Actually, the "salute" was because I refused to travel faster than 55-60 when everyone else was travelling 75-80...and the fact that I maintained about 8 carlengths behind the next car ahead, even if it meant continually backing off. They couldn't see I had a horse on board, so they just thought I was an old lady driver. Coming home, I tucked in behind a huge boat, so nobody blamed me then.

While nerves aren't a problem (I'm a musician and perform all the time on stage), I do tend to be controlling -- okay, demanding -- in situations like this. I deal with constant deadline pressure in my work by becoming very single-minded and task-oriented, which is not my true nature, so I may well have freaked him out. Maybe Mingus and Keith need to have a talk and commisserate.

I really appreciate everyone's support, and now I see clearly how foolish I was to even try to bathe him on show day.

Maybe Mingus was simply getting annoyed with how obsessive you were being and decided to teach you a lesson!
laugh.gif
Like "Lighten up, Mom! The crankier you get, the crankier I'm going to be. At some point you will figure out that you should just give up and enjoy yourself instead, and then I can relax and be a model citizen."

There's a lesson in there somewhere.
rolleyes.gif
Ah, horses. Why is it that they feel the need to teach by trampling toes?

Leia

Oh I'm sorry I missed you at the show! Dang!

I must have missed the roll call on the Forum, I didn't realize you were going

to be there.

Michael and I arrived just about 8 AM this morning to be there for Christine's Phantom, early AM class.

We're only about 20/25 minutes from Spanaway and could have come by yesterday to visit and lend moral support.

Sounds like you came away with some ideas from this experience.

But congratulations for putting your toe in the water with Mingus, again.

Hope to catch you next time!

sorry but im laughing so hard reading this!! i always love your mingus show adventures
smile.gif
But honestly it is really easy to get them over that bath thing. It takes about twice for me to get mine over it but you have to be patient. I think the biggest mistake people make with horses that dont like baths is they rush to get done and over with and in turn that teaches the horse that he can be really bad while being bathed and it wont last long. Soooo if mingus were mine he would get a nice soaking hour long bath at home for a couple days in a row. Even my ex show horses now LOVE getting baths

You know, the other day I was thinking about how we had not heard any recent Mingus updates (nor Gramma Pony updates either, Liz M.!) - and I was wondering what he had been up to ...

Now we know!! Is this his first show since he was gelded? Maybe this was his way of "thanking" you for that!!!
biggrin.gif

We have our first AAMHR show next weekend and i am sure i will be a contender for the doofus award after that whether i want to be or not! We have hit a few open shows to learn how to be a well behaved 2 year old stallion around other horses....so we shall see! hopefully i will be able to laugh at "us" as graciously! jennifer
saludando.gif

Hi Susanne! I just now realized I was stalled directly across from you! Mingus is a beautiful boy....you should be proud of him! And don't worry...everyone's been in your position...I know I have had most of my horses make me look pretty bad in the ring at one point or another!
biggrin.gif
Hang in there.....I look forward to seeing you again!

Tracy

Well gee, Tracy...I wish I had realized that you were right there...of course, I don't think I've seen photos of you or you of me, and I pretty much had tunnel vision prior to our classes.

I guess we all should have had our L'il Beginnings pins!

Liz, this was his second show since he was gelded, and he was perfect at the first one, so go figure...maybe he wanted to wait and catch me off guard!

Latest posts

Back