Someone tried to steal gas from our gas tank

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
So, we have moved so our children will be in safer schools. We collected 3 police case numbers with the trouble with the boys that have gone after our daughter multiple times. Now, over this past weekend, someone tried stealing gas out of our gas tank of our car. It happened sometime Friday night. We came out the next morning and the gas tank cover was open. I went to look at it and you could see where they pried it open and the cap itself was sitting there but not on tight. We called the police and they are going to drive by more often. They say that with gas prices being so high that people are doing this now as well as breaking into cars more often since people leave things in their cars. We got lucky, as I only had just less than a quarter of a tank so he or she didn't make off with anything from our car. I was then worried that since they knew our car was on empty that they'd soon be back because they knew we'd be filling up. Well, I hope they do come back now as there are cameras up now and we bought a gas cap with a lock on it. Multiple people around our townhouse say that things like this have never really happened here before and some of them have lived here their whole lives. With the hardships that people are going through now I can see why it is happening more and it will happen anywhere but I so want to be out of the city. I want my small town back. My husband wants to move to Lakeland, FL as he wants to work at the Publix Distribution plant over there. We drove through a couple of weekends ago and it seems pretty nice and much quieter than Palm Beach, FL. So we'll see what happens. My brother in law have family who live their and they like it and I am told they have good schools so we are looking into it more. If anybody who reads this knows anything about Lakeland, FL please let me know, good or bad. I am tired of police having to come to my door. The funny thing is that the police station is right outside our front door on the other side of this really quiet street along with the fire department. Unfortunately we have this high hedge that runs along the backside of the townhouse property that closes off any view of the parking lot. I want them to cut them down but maybe since we have the cameras now we won't need to. We'll see.

We have been having this problem for over a year now... We cant leave gas in the tractors as it disappears, we cant leave gas cans out or the disappear regardless if they are full or empty. We put 90.00 worth of gas in the dumptruck... yep went out and it was bone dry.. 40.00 worth of gas taken out of one of the farm trucks. My husband is a contractor someone tried to break in his van with who knows how many thousands of dollars worth of tools and materials in side. houses are getting broken into, guns stolen, prescription meds taken. animals taken, its getting bad... and only going to get worse I am afraid. we know have several camera's up.. thank goodness for hubby's trail cams. The only vehicle they havent messed with is my car and I think its b/c it has that anti syphon thing on it.. although that worrys me that they the next thing they will do is poke a hole in the gas tank to get the gas. these times really have me worried for not only my sake but for my kids sake and what they will have to deal with when they get old enough..

Now that we have the cameras out there I want to put a sticker on the door to my gas tank that says "Say Cheese." We've now heard that two other people have seen someone around the cars very late at night/early morning. It should stop now.

Did they dust for fingerprints?

I'm glad you moved from there! Now I hope you get to move again to that nice town! You could NOT pay me to live in a city! I had to twice and I lived each day huddled down scared to death! (born & raised country girl)

I'd been thinking of you and I'm glad you posted!

I hope the cam & gas cap helps.

The bad economy is no excuse -- honest people stay honest while the criminals and scofflaws use any excuse they can.

Moving to a less urban area sounds wonderful -- enjoy it for what it is, but don't count on any less crime. In all the years we lived in Portland, we never had any issues, and we always lived in the heart of the city. Within months of moving to a rural area, we ended up with a violent kidnapper hiding from the police on our property.

No, they didn't dust for prints. I don't know if it's because the person who did it didn't really get anything or the police just don't care. I know that less populated areas still have crime but I just don't like the city. I just want to be in a more quiet area as I have always lived in small towns all my life until I met my husband and moved down here. Also, my husband wants the job that is over in this town and they don't have one of these distribution centers near here.

We've have heard from several people that the schools where we live at now are great so we are happy with that and there is not alot of bullying that goes on at either school, elementary or middle, even though I know that can happen anywhere as well. I just think these schools have there act more together than the previous elementary school we came from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand about liking the quiet of the country. I still love the city, but now I can choose between the benefits of both -- the arts, culture and character of Portland (it is a great city with a unique personality) and the quiet beauty of our countryside. Most of all, being rather asocial, I LOVE not having too close of contact with neighbors! If I choose, I can go for days without human contact (other than Keith).

We have the best of both worlds -- we back up to the wild, yet are 30 minutes from downtown Portland.

I understand what you mean by the neighbor thing. When we move to Lakeland I am hoping we have a house with some distance between us and the neighbors. Right now we have a couple in a townhouse that is about 3 away from ours that fight every night on their back porch. Everyone can hear them with their doors closed. Thw wife doesn't want to be married and they fight about everything cursing at each other and calling names. I talked to the police about them too as they do this sometimes at 1 and 2 in the morning and my kids' rooms are closest to them so they have woke up at night hearing them. The police officer said that if they are too loud after 10 at night then we can call the police and they will come visit them and give them a warning then if it continues they will fine them. From what people say around here they listen to the drama like it's television and don't say anything. I am not interested in their drama, especially when my children are listening to it.

As with any place there are good places and bad places of lakeland. My mother lives not to far from there in brandon, and I have friends in lakeland and plant city. Not a bad place and easy to find horse stuff there.
default_smile.png

In the mean time spend the 10 bucks for a locking gas cap, it does deter them.

Karen

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the best of both worlds -- we back up to the wild, yet are 30 minutes from downtown Portland.
Oh you DO have the best of both worlds. I was just in Portland last weekend. Stayed there before and after heading to the beach house for the week. Portland is a nice city, big enough for some sophistication small enough to be intimate.

From what people say around here they listen to the drama like it's television and don't say anything.
Oh my gosh, that's too funny (in a sad way) Perhaps one night you can all go out with your lawn chairs arrange them in a semi circle around the "drama" and bring chips and dip...Maybe the noisy neighbors will take the hint if all the neighbors are out watching (JK)

I dont think the police didn't finger print because they don't care. I think they didn't finger print because a) nothing was taken and b) they are swamped these days with more serious crimes to even have the time to follow up.

Like others have said...that locking gas cap will go a long way to stop the gas thieves. Sorry you're having issues again. Sounds like you do need to make that move to a quieter place.

We did get a cap for the tank that locks. We got that immediately and now that the cameras are out there I think we're good. Some people are telling me that they might put a hole directly into the gas tank but if they try at least we'll catch them on camera doing it. I really don't think this person will take it that far. I think he or she wants something fairly fast and easy and that won't happen with our car anymore.

We never lock our doors. We don't even know where the key to our doors are. We never lock up our vehicles and they all have keys in them.

Hus wants us to move to our other farm in the valley and sell this place.

I thought I wanted to for a while but I don't want to leave the mountain. I love it here. But then again, it doesn't take much to make me content.

You've had a really rough time. I can understand you moving away from that school system where you were. And I can understand moving for a job you want. Just keep in mind there is no perfect place.

Latest posts

Back